fourteen

Loud And Clear

"Wiggle it more! Damn, I've been telling you to grip on the ends harder so that you won't hurt yourself!"

"But I AM hurting myself!'

Rindou rolled his eyes and hissed while Ran clicked his tongue.

A week has passed and it's already the 24th of October of 2005. As usual, the Haitani brothers are training Y/N in the headquarters after school. They would drag her to the headquarters seven days a week and "train" her until her soul leaves her body. It was honestly sickening but "she has no right to complain", as Rindou says.

For this week, they make her wiggle the big ropes they found at the small storage room in the abandoned warehouse. They're thick, long, and heavy and they make her sweat even when she just started.

"Faster!"

"I can't, Ran. I'm tired…"

"It's only been 15 minutes, you don't deserve to rest!" Rindou yelled.

"Shut up, donkey. I'm not talking to you!"

Y/N dropped the ropes to the ground and walked towards the Haitanis. She collapsed on the floor when she's already beside Rindou's feet, arms on her side as she breathes heavily.

Shouldn't battling ropes be invented in 2010? It's only 2005…

"Stand up and continue, you weakling," Rindou kicked her right arm. He squatted and looked down on her barely open eyes. When he was sure that they're closed, he flicked her forehead.

"Hmm…"

"I said stand up, Y/N." He leaned closer. The urge to look at her barest face is so strong that he couldn't resist it. His hand moved on its own towards her eyebrows, about to feel it.

Pretty…

Y/N opened her eyes as wide as she could. Her hand grabbed his forearm and that made him jump a little.

"Am I really that pretty? I think everyone in Tenjiku has a crush on me. First, it was Izana, then you, my boy Rindou. My beauty is really something else."

Izana?

"I-In your dreams, maybe. Just dream about me. You'll never get to kiss this ass so fine, Y/N."

"But you're still an ass so that made no difference."

He snickered and withdrew his arm from her. Ran held out his hand to Y/N as a help to get her to stand up. She took it and high-fived him then.

"Kidding aside. Did I do something wrong again?"

"He's still sulky about it."

"That's three weeks ago, Rin. Come on…"

She turned to Ran when she didn't receive an answer from Rindou, but he only gave her a frown.

"I'm not sulky, what the fuck."

"But are you mad at me?"

"Well, uh… kinda."

Ran pulled out a chair not far away and sat on it. He placed his left leg on his right and his left arm on the back of the chair. He looked at her, disappointingly, and sighed.

"Honestly, if I'm to be asked, I don't like the way you try to stitch things and do them alone, Y/N."

Rindou nodded, agreeing with the older Haitani. He drew closer and tried to sit on the elder's lap only to be shoved on the floor, face first.

"Toman is not easy to fight. Although spying gives us an advantage, we cannot guarantee that we'll be able to milk confidentiality from them. We should deal with them together."

Rindou stood up from the grunt and pulled on Ran's braid. The younger distanced himself then when Ran raised his middle finger at him.

"You look so ugly in that pose, you monkey."

"Talk to me when you no longer look like a fucking chicken," Ran hissed. "As I was saying, you should stop spying on the Tokyo Manji Gang. Being the trouble magnet you are, you might step on their landmines without you knowing. Also, there's a high probability of you screwing whatever Izana has on his mind."

"We won't tell him the truth, but we also can't promise you that he won't know what you're doing, so you'd better stop that."

That made her question her plan. Y/N knew it was wrong. Kisaki is in Toman while she's in Tenjiku, but the fire of her hatred for Mikey keeps on burning more and more as time passes by. The whole thing she involved herself into, including being Kisaki's accomplice, is quite big so it'll be hard to get out of it.

As much as she wants to just hide behind Izana's coat and wait, her inner self tells her that she should take care of it as it is. The only option left for her so that the Haitanis would leave her alone is to lie through her teeth, and that's what she did.

"Okay, I'll try…"

"I'll be lying if I say that you didn't piss me off," Rindou ranted.

Y/N was about to say something if only her phone didn't buzz. She excused herself and left to answer a call, stopping in front of the gates to pick it up.

"Hello~"

"What is it?"

"9 am, near your abandoned orphanage. Meet me there on the 30th~"

The caller hangs up. Y/N sighed and closed her flip phone before going inside again and continuing her training.

On October twenty-four of two thousand and five, the three didn't know Kakucho was inside the small storage room nearby. He was about to leave the warehouse when he heard what they were talking about, and accidentally, who and what Y/N was talking about too through the phone. Kakucho heard it all.