nine

Guilt and Hatred

When Y/N opened her eyes, she immediately felt the scorching pain burning them—the aftermath of her uncontrollable crying.

She was about to freak out when she remembered that she fainted in Izana's arms.

In the busy street of Yokohama, she had a panic attack when her assaulters came near her. It all came at once so she couldn't handle it and passed out.

She cleared her vision to see where she currently is, and the calm blue sky welcomed her sight in the most gentle way possible. It was soothing enough to make her comfortable and cozy even when lying on the grass.

Y/N got up from lying down when she felt his stomach rumbling and hurting. She hasn't eaten since morning and that explains why.

"You're awake."

Her eyes that were spacing out layed themselves on the silver blond beside her.

Izana.

He's sitting in a frog-like posture with his left hand resting on his knees and his right holding a stick, drawing shapes on the ground.

He didn't bother to look at her, because he thinks that she might still have not recovered from the distress she underwent a little earlier. Also, he doesn't want to add awkwardness to the already awkward situation.

"Uh-hm…"

"You were holding this even until you're blacked out," Izana handed her the black paper bag containing her Tenjiku uniform. "I guess it's that important to you."

"Yeah…"

"Did Ran and Rindou give that to you?"

"Yes… We just came out of the tailoring shop when..."

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me about it."

Izana stood up and threw the stick into the river. He brushed the dirt away from his clothes before he asked Y/N to leave with him.

He walked her to her house since it's not that far from the riverbank. While walking, Izana bought her three taiyakis to eat on the way home, saying, "I don't want you to starve yourself."

He also patted her head and made sure she's already inside her apartment room before he waved and left.

Izana's utterly nice to me today. Do I scare him? Did I give him troubles? And is he okay? I feel so weirded out. But not gonna lie, I like this version of him more.

The next day, September 30th, she went to the headquarters as usual. But Rindou, Ran's, and Kakucho's eyes trembled so much suddenly they couldn't look at her. Y/N also noticed some bruises on their faces and the way they avoid her—strange things that haven't happened in her ten months in Tenjiku.

"Why aren't you talking to me? If you don't want to, at least look at me. Look at me in the eyes. Why do y'all look so scared? Did I do something wrong?" Y/N whined.

The three looked at each other and shook their heads violently. They left without a word but Y/N had enough. She didn't let any of the three leave by the door and blocked their way.

"Talk to me! You guys are so weird. Ran, Rindou, we just saw each other yesterday! And you, Kakucho. Even you? Tell me what I did!" She shook them in annoyance. She even punched Ran in the eye to test if they're just teasing her and saw his jaw clenched but Ran didn’t complain.

"Is it Mochi?" she looked around only to notice they're the only ones inside. "Or is it Izana?"

They copied her and when they were sure that it was only them inside, Ran immediately turned Y/N's ear as a return.

"We almost died yesterday. Fucking hell…"

"Huh?"

"Izana came here with a bloodstained shirt and hands still dripping with blood. He almost killed three Valhalla dudes, even me!" Kakucho shook her.

"He said that he broke one dude's skull and that guy's in the hospital ICU right now. While the other two had their front teeth plucked. He took out his anger on us yesterday and blamed Rindou and I for leaving you alone yesterday."

"What?"

"He was so angry at me, who was here when you met up with these two. I'm not really scared of Izana but he was different yesterday. Oh my lord."

Y/N didn't sleep well that night. The fact that Izana beat his executives is one weird fact that hunts her with guilt and responsibility to make it right.

She doesn’t want to prolong it because as someone who is an interfering mischief-maker, she felt the need to do something.

October one of two thousand and five, Y/N is determined to spy on Valhalla, the group where her abusers belong. That’s where she found out about Bloody Halloween, the conflict that'll happen on October 31st between the Tokyo Manji Gang and the Anti-Toman Gang, Valhalla the Headless Angel.