38.

Penelope.

"Harry!!" I nearly screamed into the phone once I was in the car. He had picked up after the second ring as I was speeding through London.

"I won!!" I followed up before he could say anything. It was silent for a second before I heard his enthusiastic cheering flowing through my car. I laughed at his whistling as he let out a sigh, "Fuck, I knew it! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. How'd it go? Are you on your way to mine?"

I let out a loud relieved breath, feeling like I could finally get decent oxygen to my lungs again now that I was out of the courthouse. I felt absolutely ecstatic and wanted to share this with him first, of all people. I felt like I could take on the world right now, my entire body buzzing in adrenaline upon realizing I would never have to face Patrick again.

"The judge told him off so bad, he actually did such a terrible job at trying to tell his side of the story." I explained shortly, "But that doesn't even matter, I fucking won!" I yelled out again and Harry laughed at my reaction, "Pop a bottle of champagne once you get to the apartment, there's some in the fridge. I'll be home soon, leaving school now and we can get blind drunk together."

"Actually, I'm on my way to Brighton. I got a call from my mom's nursing home right before I walked into the courtroom. Harry... She's lucid."

We fell silent again for a minute and I bit down on my lip as I waited for his reaction. He cleared his throat, "Oh, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you."

The disappointment in his voice was clear even if he tried to sound happy for me, but I knew it stung him that I wasn't going over to his place to celebrate.

"I'm so sorry, I should've lead with that." I apologized and he immediately retorted it, "No, no, of course not. Drive safe, okay? When will you get back?"

"I'm not sure, honestly. It depends on how it goes. I just called the home and she's still lucid now, but it could be gone in like a minute. So we'll see once I get there, how long it lasts and what she's like."

"Fuck, Penelope... That must be so hard. Are you sure you're up for that today?"

"Absolutely not." I sighed in admittance, "But I don't have another choice. This is a chance I have to take, it might not be for another few years that this happens again." My own voice started wavering as I only thought of the idea that I couldn't speak to my mom again in so long.

"Okay, you're right. Text me when you get there okay? I'm so, so proud of you for getting through this. You're... You're incredible, you know that? Fuck, it's insane."

I smiled widely in my car, staring ahead of me as I drove on the highway, "Means a lot, Harry. Thank you."

We ended the phone call and I called Dave, explaining the same thing to him. He was just as over the moon for my win as Harry had been, and it made me feel more proud of myself to feel the people around me be so happy for me. After Dave, I called Katie, and then I called my dad.

I shortly spoke to Rory on the phone, who was having a very teen-moodswing day. She wasn't really up for much conversation as she grumbled into the phone and was rebelling against Nicole all week.

I called the office too, explaining my situation to Carlo. It was too late anyway to still head to work since the hearing got postponed again and again and again. He seemed understanding that I was on my way to Brighton and congratulated me on winning as well.

The constant congratulating of my winning case, made me feel happier than I could explain. My cheeks hurt from smiling so widely and I felt more carefree than I had done in a long time. It felt exactly like Amanda said it would or maybe even better.