44. (*)

Penelope.

"I'm not wearing that." I exclaimed in shock when Katie turned her computer screen around for me to see.

We were seated at Steve's bar on a Saturday afternoon, both doing some work. I was answering some e-mails while Katie was on the job hunt once more. A few of our friends were seated at the bar or playing the darts, but nobody else was working except for me of course.

Halloween was next week, and it was Katie's turn to find a costume for us. I regretted the decision tremendously to agree with to take turns in deciding a costume for the both of us. When I met Katie a couple of years back, she insisted we matched. That specific Halloween edition, I had plans on matching my costume with Patrick but he had bailed on me again and Katie comforted me and told me she'd match with me.

We had taken a different route though.

I was a little drunk that year and went along with whatever she suggested, which turned into a slutty costume. Much like the one she was showing me now.

"Katie, honestly... I might as well wear nothing?" I spoke in shock when I stared at the picture.

"It's supposed to be sexy, Pen." She rolled her eyes before turning around, "Liam!" She called out, making him lift his head before she motioned him to come over.

"Yeah?" He breathed, leaning over her chair as she pointed at her screen, "What do you think?"

"For you? For Halloween?"

"Mhm." She smiled. He had a wary look in his eyes, "I mean, it's hot. Little naked, maybe..."

"Very naked." I corrected him in a scowl, "Katie, I'm serious, I'm not wearing that."

"Wearing what?" Dave sounded out of breath as he jogged over to us, looking over Liam's shoulder at Katie's screen. His eyes widened, "That?! Agreed, you're not wearing that."

"Excuse me?" I raised my brows, glaring at Dave. He glared back and I pressed my lips together, "Well, then I am wearing it."

Katie squealed in excitement and Dave's eyes shot fire, "Are you for real?"

"Yes." I smiled sweetly, "Just because you said I couldn't. For the last time, you're not my dad."

"Fine," He huffed, "I'll snap a pic and send it to your real dad, wondering what he's going to say."

I rolled my eyes, "You're so annoying. Katie, when are we picking up our costumes?"

She checked her watch, "We could go this afternoon? Before you change your mind."

I chuckled, "Don't worry, not changing my mind. Even if it's just to piss of Dave."

He let out an aggravated sigh, "You're such a fucking brat."

"I know." I grinned and he only rolled his eyes harder at that, shaking his head to himself.

"Harry, c'mere!" Katie called out to Harry who was at the bar with Zayn. He slowly walked over, beer in his hand as Katie turned her screen to show him, "What do you think of our outfits for this year?"

His eyes widened as he stared at the screen, tilting his head to the side before he briefly flicked his eyes over to me, "Um... Very nice."

Katie smirked at his reaction, and even I could hear that he spoke with a dry throat, "Perfect. We'll go this afternoon, the costume store is still open for a couple of hours." She clapped her hands. I closed my laptop as I let out a sigh, "I'm not wearing the stockings though."

Katie groaned out, "Why not? They make the outfit complete!"

I shrugged my shoulders, "It's way too... I don't know. Provoking."