58.

TW: panic/asthma attack - suffocating

Harry.

It was a Monday morning.

Dave and I were hurriedly taking some coffee in the teacher's lounges before each heading to our classes. They were about to start in a couple of minutes and I didn't want to be late again. Lately, I was always the last one to get my students from the hallways into the classroom.

The kids were full of energy, like they usually were on a Monday morning. The weekend hadn't tired them out – on the contrary. They were all talking through one another but silenced once I arrived, which made me feel a sense of pride that they all liked me by now.

"Morning kids." I greeted as I opened the classroom.

"Morning Mister Styles." They all chanted in return and I smiled again, immediately feeling the joys of being a teacher.

Ever since my presentation got turned down by the board, I had been focussing more on spending time with my kids again. I went back to a more primal form of teaching, really occupying myself with the students and leaving the structural shit for a while since it got so nerve wrecking to focus on something that would never give me anything in return.

It was about an hour later that the entire building shook.

A loud bang was heard, startling us all, and the floor trembled for a bit. The kids squealed as I tensed my shoulders and widened my eyes. I hastily tried to shush and calm everyone but hurried to the door to pop my head out, seeing multiple other people do that same thing.

"What's going on?" Dave frowned from a few doors over and I shrugged back, "No idea."

Only seconds later, the fire alarm started blaring.

I raised my brows, "Fire?"

"Haven't got a clue!" Dave called back, "Follow protocol, get the kids out!"

I nodded and closed my eyes again, turning around to my class, who were clearly in a panic but stayed seated very calmly, much to my surprise.

I checked the windows, making sure they were all closed as I tried to remember the fire drill. The alarm was loud and I had to shout in order for the kids to hear me.

"Okay, we've practiced this, yeah? Leave everything behind, no coats or bags. Get in a line, come on!" I urged them, motioning around with my hands. The kids clambered off of their seats and formed a line. I popped the door open again, eyes widening when I saw literal smoke flowing through the hallway.

I turned around again, "Okay, everyone, do this with your hands." I showed them, cupping both hands in front of my mouth and nose, "Make sure you cover your mouth and nose. Use your shirt or jumper if you can. Alright, Fawn, you're first, let's go. Follow after Mrs. Hendricks there, yeah? Go on, walk on behind her."

I urged the first student, and she nodded. I urged the rest of them to follow so they all walked in a line behind Mrs. Hendricks, and I closed the line. I nudged the shoulders of the kid walking before me, covering my mouth with one hand only as I tried to see through the smoke.

We were on the third floor so there were quite a bit of stairs to through with a herd of little kids.

"Harry!" I heard Dave's shouting once we were outside in the playground, and my kids walked behind Mrs. Hendricks to the parking lot – far away from the building as was protocol.

"Yeah?" I squinted to see him through the smoke, which was clearly coming from the science class.

Dave coughed, "The science room exploded! Mrs. Stevenson is unconscious, all the kids are still in there!"