Resist Pt. 2

As he silently walked home, Takemichi could not help but get lost in his thoughts once more. 'Twelve years from now, Hina and I won't be dating. We hadn't seen each other in years.' He paused in the middle of a crosswalk, 'I abandoned Meimei too, I told her I hated her. I hurt her to push her away. Even if I should be trying for my sister I'm not obligated to save Hina. Who's to even say, Mei-nee would accept my efforts.'

"I'm going to protect you, Hanagaki-kun!"

He remembered Hina's words to him, and felt tears well up.

"I gotta make sure you're alright. I have to protect you!"

"But... Who's gonna protect you?"

His dream from when he was knocked out replayed in his mind.

"But they..." The dam broke, hand clutching tight to his chest, as his other hand flew up to try and stop his tears as he cried. "They're not supposed to die!" He sobbed, remembering the missing part of his dream.

"I'll do it!" The younger Takemichi sobbed, stopping his sister before she could brush him off. "I'll protect you too, Meimei! Even if you don't want me to! I'll be your hero!"

Meiko stared in shock, at his bold tear-filled claim, then smiled as threw her arms around him laughing. "Okay! I'll protect my hero, and you can protect me!"

"Mnn!"

The siblings clung tightly to one another as the elder of the two rubbed their faces together, "No matter what, we'll always be together! Yeah?"

"Yeah!"

His eyes slowly widened though, as the memory faded as quickly as it came, and the familiar guilt for his past washed over him. "Mei...mei." Looking up he realized something, as tears continued streaming down his face. "I haven't met Meimei face to face... in years." Hearing the timer for the crosswalk ticking down, Takemichi's heart raced. Almost tripping over himself and his still slightly twisted ankle, as he rushed down the street. 'Home! I haven't been home in years!'

Left

Right

Three houses down

Left

It had been years since he had been to his childhood home, years since he ran from the only stability and comfort he had ever known.

"I HATE YOU, AND EVERYONE IN THIS STUPID TOWN! I NEVER WANT TO SEE ANY OF YOU AGAIN!"

"TAKEMICHI!"

"That... I really love ya! And that you're the best big sister, a guy could ever ask! And... I'm sorry for not saying it more!"

"... You spaz. You really had me worried there, you dummy."

Slamming into the corner that led into his childhood home's front yard, Takemichi gasped for air. Slowly looking up, as he noticed house lights still on... and like a moth to a flame it beckoned him close. 'Home... Meimei...'

Rubbing his eyes dry, he pushed himself towards the door. Stopping at it with his hand raised up, it shook. Mouth dry, he'd tried swallowing, using his other hand to stabilize his hand as he reached out, and opened the unlocked door, and stepped in. "I... I'm home!"

July 6th, 2005 Meiko

Taking a deep breath, Meiko quickly put aside her cell phone, as she began to make her way towards her home's front door hallway. 'Okay Mei, you can do this.' She thought, 'Just keep your cool, you know Michi doesn't respond well when you push. So let's try the more subtle approach this time.' Nodding to herself with a quick fist pump, she dramatically swung herself through the open door frame with a bright smile on her face.