☔︎︎Chapter Ten: What doesn't kill you☔︎︎

"You're staging everyone up looking like that

"You're staging everyone up looking like that." She smiled Turing to look at me eyeing my outfit, "you've got a body that could make a grown man weep Nadya, it'll be your greatest weapon."

"Thank you," I replied because I know it's true, I have eyes and a mirror and I know I'm attractive. "You look breathtaking Blythe."

"I have a question and you must be honest with me." She spoke softly taking my hands in hers,

"Of course." I lied, crossing my fingers.

"Do you fancy anyone so far?" She asked me, "between me and you, I've noticed quite a few guys on campus whispering about the mysterious new Russian girl at Marx house."

"Is that so?" I anticipate, "unfortunately, I'm not looking for a relationship."

"I'm not talking about a relationship darling, I'm talking about having fun. There are loads of rather charming men in Prague that would give their left lung to accompany a lovely lady like yourself!"

"The same goes for you!" I encourage, deflecting. "I've seen you and Niklaus are pretty...friendly."

"No." She responded, her face suddenly turning solemn and her eyes darkening at my words, she takes a deep breath before responding. "I am damaged goods Nadya, nobody wants damaged goods. And as for Nik and I, we are nothing more than friends, perhaps he is even my friend but nothing more I assure you."

"You are not damaged Blythe what are you saying-" I begin but she gives me a slight laugh before speaking,

"aapako kuchh bhee nahin pata." She mumbles in Hindi before her gaze meets mine again and she realizes she wasn't speaking English. "You know nothing, however, I appreciate your kind words, but they feel like salt on an open wound."

I can tell by the way she avoids my gaze that she doesn't wish to continue talking about this anymore, and I know better than to get information from an unreliable source so I change the topic to something I am genuinely curious about.

"May I ask you something too?" I ask,

"Of course, anything." She beams,

"Why is Vlàcov so bitter?" I ask her, "why does he despise and make judgement without knowing me?"