☔︎︎Chapter Twenty Four: Ruining You ☔︎︎

➪This chapter contains mature themes

This chapter contains mature themes

I woke up really early today, even before Klaus because I had a scheduled meeting with Mr Elvis, Rune had told me that he wanted to speak to me. I knock on his door and he lets me in.

"Hello Mr E!" I greet chirpily, "I believe I've been summoned, what for? Is this because I accidentally ate Martina's leftovers last week because I apologized-"

"Hello, Miss Petrov." He laughs, "and no it's not for that."

"Oh...then forget everything I said." I smile with a thumbs up.

"There's something very important your peers at Marx House and myself have wanted to share with you for a long time, we just had to make sure you were ready to hear it." He concludes standing up from his seat and putting on his glasses, "follow me to the library, yes, some of your friends will be waiting for you there?"

"Oh okay." I agree and I feel under my skirt to make sure my pocket knife is still there, only a fool would follow a man into a dark library unarmed and my brothers raised me better than that.

I stand up and allow him to lead the way, the walk isn't long but the light rain trickled into my uniform. I followed him through the woods and to the wine entangled library that I once went to when I'd first arrived. Once we're inside he leads me up a staircase I didn't even realize was there before and pulls out a book from an abandoned shelf of fiction. It spins us around and leads us into another room.

On the wall is a portrait of Karl Marx, the founder of communism and a massive bulletin board with a red string joining pieces of information about the Czech government hung up on the wall. I glance at the board and there are photographs of all the members of the government, Antonin Novotny, the Stalinist ruler of Czechoslovakia, Alexander Dubcek, a Slovak who supports liberal reforms.

"What is all this?" I ask him, taking mental notes to remember everything I'd seen today. "I don't understand.."

"We need your help, Nadya Petrov." Elvis speaks solemnly, "our country of Czechoslovakia is in peril and will crumble to the ground at the hands of Antonin Novotny.
I was tasked by Alexander Dubcek to handpick the best intellectual youth across the Soviet Union to aid in his cause."