☔︎︎Chapter nineteen: Red (Niklaus's version)☔︎︎

I had mathematics early in the morning, Rune told me about how pleased Martina was with her gift but apparently, she didn't know it was from him and that he couldn't bring himself to admit to it after

"It was probably Blythe, she's the sweetest she knows me so well." Martina commented drawing a circle using a protractor,

"You really are a fool," I responded and Rune shoved my arm in disapproval. "I mean that's really cool...of her."

"She doesn't have to know," Rune whispers to me,

"Then what was the point of it all?" I ask and he sighs deeply shaking his head as if I'm the one who has it all mixed up.

"She was happy, that's all that matters, that's all I want for her...happiness. Regardless of whether or not it's at my hand." He explains and I nod in agreement, "you'll understand someday Nik, hopefully."

Aftermath is politics and I've been working on my presentation all week, I stayed up on sleepless nights perfecting my wording and execution until it was perfect.
I refuse to lose to Nadya. That was a one-time thing, I'm Niklaus and I never lose, if I did then who would I even be?

But then again I'm not trying to kickstart an identity crisis at 8 in the fucking morning, those only happen sometime at midnight of course.

Nadya was going first and she made her way up to the front of the class, I watched as everyone's eyes followed her. I mean it was impossible not to acknowledge her enigmatic beauty, it wasn't the kind of allure you saw in dainty flowers, sunsets and ballet. It was the kind of haunting, forbidden attraction one had towards thunderstorms, cookie jars on the highest shelf and naked flames.

It was a kind of attraction that you remained silent about, that only you and your God knew about, the kind you whispered to priests in confession. It felt like a sin.

She made her way up front and cleared her throat.

"Good morning, today I'm going to be discussing the uprising against Czechoslovakian president Antonín Novotný." She declared and the room went silent,