☔︎︎Chapter 24.5: Remember me☔︎︎

Play Ivy by Taylor Swift for this chapter for a better experience:)

Flashback 3 years ago, Niklaus 17

I sit idly on the kitchen floor building a tower of cards, I am careful, agile, every move is calculated. I know not of what it means to be carefree, my entire life has been on time and on schedule.

I am surrounded by people but I have no friends, no one has yet been able to decipher the way I think, the way I feel the things I desire.

Not even I know what I desire, perhaps my mother was right, perhaps I am incapable of feeling. Her words swarm my mind always, her last encounter with me was distant and her words were short and laced with bitterness.
You are the reason your father no longer loves me, you robbed me of his adoration, you were my greatest tragedy, the birth of you was the death of me.

Her words...they tattooed themselves onto my skin, her regrets became the philosophy to which I'd live my life. I was doomed to spend the rest of my life trying to prove that I was enough, that perhaps I could make her proud someday so she'd know that I wasn't a regret.

Elvis told us that a new student would be arriving today, we rarely got those and I wasn't excited to see a new face. I was never good at handling change, but perhaps this time things would be different.

And then the door creaked open and I could hear the others offering to help with our new guest's suitcases, I didn't move from my space on the floor, if anything I stayed in my place and continued to stack the cards.

"Who else?" I heard the voice ask, it was light and airy, it felt like a feather brushing the back of my ears.

"He's been cooped up in the kitchen all day." Patricia responds, "I doubt he wants company."

"I'll go find out myself." The voice challenged just as I heard footsteps approaching and I rolled my eyes.

The first thing I noticed about her was her eyes; bright, witty and encapsulating. They were the kind of eyes that demanded your attention and once they grasped it they never let you go.

They never let me go. To this day.

I noticed her tawny skin, sun-kissed. I noticed her long elbow-length black hair, I noticed the bindi dot between her eyebrows and the way her brightness and good seemed to radiate from it.

"Why are you on the floor?" She asked me tilting her head in curiosity,

"Curiosity killed the cat." I deadpan,

"And isolation killed the spirit." She retorted, "do you want your spirit to be killed Niklaus...is it?"

"You cannot kill what was never alive, to begin with," I assured her shaking my head at her ludicrous response.

"That's quite grim." She laughed, "lighten up, you're far too young to be this...hopeless."

"I am not hopeless." I deny stacking another card,

"Well, you're certainly not hopeful." She sighed taking a seat next to me on the floor, "what do you believe in Nik?"

"I believe in myself." I assure her, "what do you believe in?"

"Reincarnation...and human connection." She muses,

"Bullshit." I scoff and she seems slightly offended.

"That is only because you've probably never opened your heart to it." She retorts, "Have you ever had a genuine human connection before?"

"People have never attempted to connect with me, stranger in our kitchen," I remarked.

She eyed me up and down, slowly and then lifted an eyebrow, "I bet there are women lining up outside Marx House to connect with you."

"Wanting to fuck me isn't the same as wanting to know me stranger on the kitchen floor." I cursed and she's taken aback.

"What do you know about fucking?" She laughed, "that's probably just another meaningless word to you."

"I don't care for...relations," I assured her,

"Has anyone ever told you you're an awful liar?" She laughs, "and you blush really easily."

"Believe me I'm well aware." I say, "That's the only fatal flaw I inherited from my mother." I tell her, glancing away.

"That's not true." She pouts,

"It's not?" I retaliate,

"Yeah you apparently also inherited really good hair," she compliments threading her delicate fingers through my dark curls, "you should grow it out longer."

She thinks my hair would look better long, so I grew it out, I wore it longer.

"You know what this means Niklaus?" She asks me,

"Enlighten me." I retort,

"That I'm no longer a stranger in your kitchen." She muses with a bright smile, "I'm your friend."

"I don't have those," I mumbled just as she pulled out a single card and my tower came crashing down.

"You do now." She laughed. "I'm Blythe by the way."

"Nice you meet you Blythe by the way, you should probably stay out of my way," I say.

"No such luck, you're my new best friend." She assured me.

And she was right, she was my first friend, my first smile, the reason my tower that I'd spent years building up came crashing down.

A/N:

This is a short chapter because it's a flashback of course!! I hope you played the song I recommend 🙄 I missed you guys and I hope you enjoy the late update. PLEASE remember to vote, comment and share so we can grow our little family. Ily!

This is a DOUBLE update btw!

THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS <<<
PREDICTIONS <<<<

See ya!

- Scarlet <3