☔︎ Chapter 47: By you, I am forever undone ☔︎

"By you I am forever undone" - The queen of nothing by Holly Black

Play Marjorie by Taylor swift for this chapter

Sometimes when I find myself wondering weather or not someone else is worth forgiving, I look in the mirror. I think to myself, on all of the occasions that I have done wrong by others and they turned the other cheek, was I worth forgiving then? Am I worth forgiving now?

I would love to sit here and tell you all the story of how I was a victim of deception and little white lies, how I was the very picture of innocence but was tainted- but that would be incredibly false. Because just as much as I am the victim I am also the perpetrator.

Niklaus has been cruel to me.
But I have been just as wicked to him.

I came to Prague under false pretenses and wormed my way into his friendships, his home, his life under the guise of innocence. I made it seem as though I had no idea what I was capable of, like if I ended up hurt that it was all on him. But I fear that I may have downplayed the extent of the injuries he sustained to his heart, therefore allow me to be honest for a moment.

I deliberately initiated a relationship with him under the idea that if I did so he would tell me more about his plans, I allowed him to give me his heart, and then I dropped it. I let his mother reveal the truth about his daughter, I let him tell me everything about her. I read through his personal thoughts, every naked truth. I let him attach himself to me knowing he would never truly hold on.

I know now that he has known the truth about my identity for a long time, I underestimated his intelligence, a grave mistake. I knew how smart Niklaus was and yet I chose to believe that in my case, he chose to remain ignorant. I know that he tasted the lies on my lips, yet devoured every inch of me anyways, choking down the pain of it all.

I should have known. I should have known that he knew, the way he looked at me with that this isn't forever feeling, that I wish I didn't care glare, I should have known.

But Niklaus...he hurt me too, he hurt me because he was hurting and didn't know what to do. He kept my letters and I wanted to condemn him, I wanted to declare him utterly unforgivable but I cannot. I was tortured for answers, and I wanted to blame him for it, but it was not of his doing therefore I cannot. He used our engagement party as an opportunity to get revenge and that was cruel.