𝟎𝟏 | 𝐖𝐚𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐚

"Words are a strong weapon which can even pierce a stoned heart ..."

A N A B I A looked around her with moist eyes when she saw her so-called cousins laughing in a corner at her

A N A B I A looked around her with moist eyes when she saw her so-called cousins laughing in a corner at her. She knew it was a new prank of them to humiliate her again. Like the always do. She stayed there, head bowed and fingers fidgeted while her tayi ammi gave her a good earful for something she didn't do.

"It was a five lakhs rupees saree made with real gold details and you ruined it ? How could you be so careless? Even your death father didn't earn that much in a month !" The old lady's heavy voice echoed in the walls of the Abbasi haveli.

As always, Anabia's aunt asked her to do all the house chores and also to wash her precious saree with her hands at it was handmade and the work could be ruined if she washed it in the washing machine. Anabia carefully washed the piece of clothing, scared of her tayi ammi's wrath.

She left the saree to dry but when Shabana - her Tayi Ammi - saw the saree, the golden colour of it had turned in a brownish one because of the bleach her cousin - Shaiza [Shabana's daughter] - put after Anabia had left the saree to dry.

And now, she was getting scolded for something she didn't even do.

"I...I didn't...do..an-anything, Tayi Ammi..." Anabia stuttered, she hated being humiliated but it was something she faced almost every day.

"Shut up! You're so worthless! I mean your mother died when she gave birth to you and your father also passed away in disease living you as a burden in our house!" It was too much to bear for her small and fragile heart. She didn't ask for it, it just came on her way. She felt as if she was bad omen for her late parents and a burden for this so-called family she lived with. She was reminded of this every time.

"BAS ! Ab ek aur lafz nahi mein sunoga meri Anabia ke bare me! Tum bhul rahi ho Shabana ye mera ghar hai! Aur meri Anabia koyi boch nahi hai, mere bete ki akhri nishani hai wo!" Jamshaid Abbasi, an old man in his late sixties with salt-pepper hair and beard said. He was the elder of this house and Anabia's only gardian and mehram because after him she had no one.

After she had lost her parents at the mere age of eight. It was Jamshaid who raised her into the beautiful woman she is now. He provided her with everything, even love but his love wasn't enough to fill the gap only parents can. Moreover, the way she was treated also had an impact on her.

"Dada jaan...I pr-promise...I-I-I didn't ruin Tayi Ammi's saree !" Anabia hugged him and sobbed. She was scared that her grandfather wouldn't trust her.

"I believe, my bacha. Mere Bia kabi jooth nahi bolti !" He was right. She wasn't one of those who lies.

"It's my last warning, Shabano. Next time, you'll face the consequences. If she is saying that she didn't ruin your saree then she didn't." His voice held finality as he grabbed Anabia's hand and went in his room not before glaring at his grandchildren and daughter-in-law.