Chapter 62: The Budding of a Black Rose

"How was your grandfather?" Haru asked over the phone.

"He took it hard," Legoshi answered. "I drove him home after the reception. I left him asleep in his bed. I'm going to call him daily just to check in on him. I can only imagine what it would be like to lose a best friend. What about you? Get home alright?"

"Yeah," she answered. "Some investigators were at work today to ask us questions. Apparently all of Razor's bombs were made with a nitrate substance. The greenhouse is the only place in the city with fertilizer that has a nitrogen abundance high enough for explosives. Turns out the janitor worked for Razor. The ferret caved after his alibi failed to hold up, and they took him into custody. That was the highlight of my day."

"I'm going to stop by Jack's to check in on him," Legoshi said. "Then I should be home soon afterwards."

"Say hi to him for me," she said.

Legoshi was about to hang up when he heard a groan on the other end of the phone.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," she answered. "Just a splitting migraine."

"If it gets worse there's painkillers in the drawer," he said.

"Yeah I know. I took one a few minutes ago so hopefully it should work."

"I'll see you when I get home."

"Okay."

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," she returned.

He hung up and stuffed his phone back in his jacket pocket. He felt something else there and pulled it out. The business card that Gohin had given him two weeks ago. Club Orchid it still read, with the flower next to the name. He stopped on the sidewalk, seemingly transfixed by the card. He felt Gohin had wanted him to take over his position and hunt down Razor, but at the same time, he had other things on his mind. There were people in his life he couldn't abandon. He admitted, he didn't have as solid of a moral compass as the panda, who had left his wife and child to do his job in the Back Alley. Legoshi held no such ideology. He wouldn't abandon his wife, or his friend. He dropped the slip of paper, which fluttered down into a puddle of water. It soaked, losing it's form and color.

Sorry to disappoint Gohin, Legoshi thought. I've never really been replacement material.

The wolf looked back up and continued towards his friend's apartment building. The darkened streets whirred occasionally with cars as they drove past him. It was around twilight. The sun had set, yet the glow bounced off the clouds and illuminated the world in its dim light. He felt a few drops fall on his nose and pulled his jacket tighter around his body. The weather report said nothing about rain. He hoped nothing would ruin his suit. It was his only one. The first time he had worn it was at his wedding and any subsequent event that called for it. It seemed ironic to wear a wedding suit to a funeral, but the plain black looked normal for any formal occasion.

He looked up to the Sunrise Apartment Complex and hastily walked up to the door, standing under the overhang. He shook off what little water had accumulated on his coat before opening the door and walking in. He took the stairs up to Jack's apartment and walked to the door. He knocked on the wood.

"Jack?" he called.

Nothing.

"Jack?" he called again, knocking a second time. He tried the handle, finding it unlocked. He cautiously pushed it in and looked around. Everything looked normal, aside from the fact the television had been taken from its place in front of the couch. There wasn't much changed in the room and Legoshi closed the door, stepping in. He took off his coat and hung it over the back of one of the dinner table chairs. He looked down the hall and saw the door to Jack's room ajar slightly. There was a faint glow that showed through the gap and the noise of news reports murmured through. There was a shadow as someone moved around inside, as if frantically cleaning up something. The wolf walked down this way. He smelled Jack and no one else, so he was put a little more at ease.