Chapter 121: A Game With Evil

Adler had watched the hybrid enter the elevator and knew where he was heading, the penthouse at the very top. This was it. The time was now. He raced to the elevator and pressed the button. The bell rang and he looked up to the indicator. 'NS' it read. No service. Great. The bastard had turned off the elevators. Looks like the vigilante would be taking the stairs.

The vigilante burst through the doors into the hotel lobby and ran up the steps, using his prosthetic to push himself along at a faster pace. He wouldn't be able to run up the steps for long, but he wouldn't stop unless his heart gave way. Then he had an idea. Instead of using the stairs, he jumped into the space the stairs wrapped around and threw his grappling hook. It caught on the railing and he pulled himself up the wire. When he reached the top of the line, he continued using the stairs until he was able to reel in the line again. He then threw the line and climbed, continuing in this pattern until he reached the top floor. The penthouse was right above, but only accessible by the elevator. The elevator which was out of order.

Adler wasted no time in kicking in a room's door, startling the inhabitants who were sleeping in the bed. Adler paid them no mind as he ran for the window and jumped out, shattering the glass. He twisted his body before gravity caught him and hooked onto the building. It was too low for him to get to the penthouse, but it would keep him from falling. And he could climb the rest of the way. He pulled himself up the line, which he was now realizing wasn't entirely secured. He could feel it slipping as he climbed, making him hasten his movement. The deer leapt at the last second and grabbed hold of a ledge right before the line came loose and fell to the road below.

Adler pulled himself up to stand on the edge, chest flat against the wall. He balanced with nothing to hold onto and breathed. That had been close. He sidled over to a section of wall that he could climb and began to ascend. He pulled himself up to the floor and was directly next to the balcony again. Third time had to be the charm. He pulled himself over the edge and took out his sword, holding the gun at the ready as well. He kicked in the door and there was Razor.

"Took you long enough," the hybrid said. He was dressed again in his leather hoodie and all black jeans. Adler could tell he had on his motorcyclist armor underneath the tactical turtleneck he wore under the leather hoodie. His boots were strapped on tightly to his ankles and his karambits were on his tactical belt. His tell-tale mask was clipped to there as well. Razor himself was sitting down cross legged in a chair. His armored gloves were off and on the table next to a glass and bottle of Nutmeg Blood liquor. Louis' bottle of Nutmeg Blood liquor that the terrorist had stolen that first week he had made himself known. And layed out in the middle of the table was a chess board, pieces already in play. Another seat was situated on the other side and a glass of alcohol was poured.

"You can put those away," he said, motioning to Adler's sword and pistol. "I have already taken care of that part for you."

Alder looked around and saw a small box of insecticide on the table next to Shoon. He saw the powder swirling in the hybrid's drink.

"I have no intention of running," Shoon said. "But I don't plan on letting you or the police lock me in a cell for years awaiting a trial with a definite verdict."

Adler just stood. The silence was calming, which was odd given the presence of this killer in front of him.

"Come," Shoon motioned. "Sit. Enjoy a drink. Watch the dark city. And we can finish this little game of ours in peace."

"How do I know this isn't a trick?" Alder asked, leaning in to Louis a bit.

"You'll just have to trust a dying hybrid," Shoon said. "We have a few minutes before the toxins truly finish me off. If not, you always have your gun."