Chapter 82: Ghosts

"Why do you wake them up?" Kina's visage asked, leaning over the body.

"I want to see their mental process," Jack said, bringing the boat to a halt in the dark, churning waters of the ocean. "I want them to see me and realize that their actions have consequences."

"But not everyone in the group was responsible for my death," she said.

"That's why I wear the mask," the golden labrador retriever said. "I could be anyone. I know I'm not the only one who suffered. So in a sense, this isn't just for me. This is for everyone else aswell."

Kina stood up and walked behind him as he dropped the anchor into the black mirror with a splash. He let the metal fall until the line stopped running. He let out just a little bit more before locking the line. He then turned, ignoring her, and walked to the navigation panel to make sure they were in the same location as last time; just above the gulf stream. Good. Whatever the citizens of the sea didn't eat would be carried by the current to wherever in the world. He then scanned the horizon around them for any boats patrolling. The full moon hung suspended over them and the stars were cast over the dome of the sky like a blanket. If anything was hiding from his view it had to have some cloaking device or something out of a sci-fi movie.

"I don't like this new you," Kina said.

"Well you're dead," Jack added. "Doesn't really matter what you think."

"This is what I'm talking about," she said. "The Jack I know, would never behave like this. The Jack I know had issues with accidentally stepping on insects. The Jack I know would never-"

"Never what?" he asked, snapping around to her. "Never kill people? Say it."

"You already did," she said.

"I know," he said. "But I want to hear it from your lips."

She swallowed.

"You've changed," she said.

"Isn't that the way of the world?" he asked. "Change and adjusting to it?"

"But you've gone down this dark descent," she pointed out.

"Have I?" he asked, with a cruel little smile. "Or maybe this is just a personality I was repressing that I've finally given strength. I'll admit, it feels good a little."

Kina just watched him go about his business.

"If you're done with whatever you have to say," Jack said, reaching for the open ring box. "Then-"

"Wait!" she said, cutting him off.

He flashed a dead look at her. No emotion, just a face. His outstretched hand was still, aside from the rocking of the boat. The other hand gripped the burlap of the executioner's hood as his knuckles turned white.

"Just once," she said. "Do it while he's still asleep."

Jack gave her a quizzical look.

"Revenge is revenge, right?" she inquired. "Killing him awake should then be the same as killing him when he's out."

"What are you playing at?" the masked hissed.

"Not playing at anything," she said. "Just throwing out a statement of fact."

"Noted," Jack said. The mask pushed him to grab the box and close it with a snap. Kina's image dispersed into the ocean air.

"Let's get to it," the mask said, pulling itself over his head.

"Awake or asleep?" Jack asked.

"What do I care?" it asked back. "A kill is a kill."

Jack took out his knife and walked up to the goat. He looked over the body and considered the smelling salts in his pocket, but in a split second of decision he jammed the knife into the heart of the herbivorous animal. A wave of uncomfortable sensations washed over his body and he felt sick. He let go of the knife and staggered back, collapsing to the ground. He tore off the mask and just looked over the kill. He started sweating, instead as opposed to panting. He fumbled in his pocket as the panic overtook him. He grabbed the ring box and opened it. Instead of seeing Kina, he heard her whisper.