Chapter 117: Through Sickness and In Health...

Adler watched the wedding proceedings through a window. He looked down into the club from the third level of windows; the false third floor. The club was closed to the general public of The Drusk. The private event was populated mostly by the gang members, with the exception of the limo group. He was only watching two of the guests to make sure they were safe. Luckily they sat together and the stupid one hadn't taken his muzzle off. Adler allowed a growl to escape his throat for Louis. They scanned the rest of the crowd and watched all the proceedings. All they saw were the backs of heads, keeping an eye out for the killer they were after. As if on cue, they stepped from the elevator.

~~~~~

Shoon walked in and joined his capos at the front of the aisle, essentially the stage at the front of the dance floor.

"The concoction needs another hour or so," Benjiro stated.

"What happened to 'it'll be done before the ceremony'?" Shoon asked.

"Well it was difficult to find someone with the nerve to make what you wanted-"

"Point is, it's being done now?" the hybrid asked.

The tiger nodded.

"Good," Shoon nodded. "After the ceremony, I want one final meeting with everyone before we begin the festivities."

"Yes sir," the tiger answered.

"I'm sorry," Shoon apologized. "I'm sorry it has to end like this."

"What must be done will be done," the capo answered. "Everyone agrees with you, but they're scared."

"Understandable," Shoon nodded again. The tiger looked his boss up and down. He was visibly nervous, for more reasons than one. It was the first time he had seen the hybrid this vulnerable and it was relieving, in a way. To know that he wasn't an emotionless psychopath.

"Let's not worry about that just yet," he continued with a small smile. "We have some time before then, so enjoy it."

Benjiro didn't answer and Shoon lay a hand on his shoulder.

"That's an order," the hybrid smirked.

The tiger smirked back before Reina approached behind.

"Shoji's ready," she said.

"You make a choice?" he asked.

"Fifth option," she said.

Shoon raised an eyebrow.

"I only gave you-"

"I know," she retorted.

The hybrid made no attempt to ask what this fifth, or even fourth option was. Just saw the look in Reina's eyes and smirked.

"You have to turn around," she said.

Shoon gave a confused, suspicious look before remembrance swept over his eye.

"I forgot he wants this done by the book," he giggled to himself. "Nothing but the best for him."

He turned and looked up. He saw the silhouette in the window and smiled, motioning to the shape to come down.

~~~~~

"It's a trap," Adler said.

I thought so too about following the limo, Louis thought. Is it mad to think he genuinely invited us and doesn't want to hurt us.

"I doubt it," Alder growled. "He's a murderer."

But he's not a liar, Louis reminded. I doubt he wants to cause a scene at his wedding.

"He's also insane," Adler retorted.

The two were silent.

Give me back control and I'll deal with the party scene, Louis offered. But be ready to take control if something goes wrong.

Copy, Alder said at the two switched seats.

Louis turned and swung to the ground, landing in an alley. He moved to the entrance and hesitated for a moment.

"Mask or no mask," he asked.

The invitation was for you, Adler pointed out.

"Costume feels incomplete without it," Louis added. "Besides, my cover's blown anyway. Razor knows who we are."

Keep it on, Alder said. It's possible he didn't tell anyone.

Louis nodded before stepping into the building. He stayed in the shadows, not going into the seating area. It felt odd. Everything happening just, didn't seem to match everything that came before. But it was happening, and that was the strangest of all. He looked at the two canines sitting next to each other. Juno turned towards him and saw his shape in the shadow. He nodded to her that everything was alright, and she nodded back. He snapped his eyes around, taking in the space. This was Club Orchid, and Club Blood was beneath him. How were they getting there?

"I know standing is better for you," she said next to him. "But perhaps sitting is the better option in this case. It is more polite."

Louis snapped to the voice next to him and almost collapsed from disbelief, and then thought he was seeing a ghost. In a green blouse and black pants, with the sapphire earrings she had the night she was taken. Untouched, aside from the new scar on her shoulder resulting from the snake bite.

"Here's your ring back," she said, holding out their wedding ring to him. "A dead woman has no need for such things."

Louis just stood in shock and stared.

"I'm real," the doe said. "This isn't a hallucination or anything so my hand and arm are getting tired."

Louis still had no reaction.

She gave him her signature fed up look and just dropped the metal band. Louis snapped back to reality and caught the ring before it hit the ground.

"How the fucking hell-?"

"Shhh," she hushed, bringing a finger to her lips. "Time for talk is later. A wedding is about to start."

~~~~~

Shoji didn't even hear Benjiro as he began the proceedings. He was too focused on Shoon. He looked really good in black. But make that black a suit and he was damn handsome. The porcupine quills off the back of his head were getting a bit too long, but that wouldn't be an issue. They were styled at least, which would make them manageable. The ruby cufflinks were a nice, personal touch. His two favorite colors: black and blood-red.

Shoji was snapped back to the world when Shoon turned to him. In his mind, it was just the two of them. No one else was there. The world itself didn't exist. In this moment, the universe shifted itself so they were at its center, the very skys seeming to bend to their will. There were no vows; they didn't need them. They were promising the rest of their lives to each other and that was everything they needed. Then that moment came.

They had kissed before, but this one was different. This one caused the world to spin and tumble out of proportion. It was like an explosion of passion between them where their lips touched. He saw without his eyes and did his best to lift himself up to Shoon's level, pulling himself up using the back of the hybrid's neck. Shoon wrapped his arms around his waist and lifted the wild dog the remaining foot or so that their mouths were level. Time itself stood still, holding space hostage at their orders. Shoji never realized until now how oddly shaped and textured Shoon's forked tongue really was.

But of course, you couldn't hold a cosmic force like the space-time continuum hostage forever. When their kiss ended, the universe wrenched itself from their grasp and returned to its usual position, throwing them back in their place. Time shook itself away from the moment and continued to tick away at its usual pace, though a little slower, still jarred by the moment. But it would return to normal sooner or later. Shoji still didn't hear the crowd when they were done and all he saw was Shoon.

~~~~~

"They'll be going down to Club Blood now," Azuki said, looking up to her ex-husband with indifference. "Shall we join them?"