Chapter 66: Love and Secrets

Shoji woke up in an empty bed, as usual. The painting Shoon had stuck to the ceiling filled his field of vision. There was a record of music from the fantasy metal genre quietly playing. It wasn't really his taste, but he didn't mind it, the tunes were technically metal. He sat up and was pleasantly surprised to see Shoon sitting at the piano. He had his back to him in his usual Razor get up of black and leather jacket. He had his arm propped up on the lid that covered the keys, his devil's flower mantis standing on his knuckles, poised for action. In his other arm he held a cockroach in a pair of forceps. Shoji watched as the insect snapped it's head towards the roach. Shoon carefully held the pest close to the creature.

"Come on Morrígan," he said. "Breakfast time."

Shoon put the cockroach on his hand and let it crawl frantically around before coming to a stop in front of the predator. The praying mantis tilted its head and held its antennae back as it slowly leaned forward. Within a fraction of the time it took to blink an eye, she lunged and gripped the roach in her clasping arms, landing a bite to the insect's head. This didn't kill the insect, as cockroaches were known for their survivability, but it rendered its mouth parts harmless, which was the only thing that could've hurt the mantis. Shoon held Morrígan on his hand as she ate her meal.

"Why Morrígan again?" Shoji asked, stretching his back.

"The Morrígan was a powerful goddess from an old religion," Shoon explained, not turning around at Shoji's question. "There's debate on whether or not she was actually a collection of three goddesses that combined into one, but for my purposes I stuck to the one name."

"What was she the goddess of?"

"Death," Shoon put plainly. "War, fate, sovereignty. The name literally translates to 'great phantom queen'. Which is how I view the mantis."

He carefully spun to look at Shoji, careful not to disturb the huntress as she feasted.

"You and your insects," the canine chuckled with a roll of his eyes. He swung his legs over the side of the bed and sat on the edge.

"It's only one," the hybrid protested.

"And the crickets and roaches for her to eat," he added. "What are you still doing here?"

"Thought I might spend some more time with you and not disappear in the morning, as per the usual," he answered.

"How thoughtful," the painted dog said. "And yet you still found time to get dressed in your business attire and feed your mantis instead of, oh, I don't know, letting me wake up in your arms?"

The hybrid looked away in what appeared to be a mix of embarrassed shame.

"I'm joking," Shoji assured him. "Seeing you here in the morning is enough."

Shoon stood and carefully carried the mantis to her tank. He delicately let her crawl off onto a branch in the terrarium with her meal still in her arms. The hybrid then walked over to Shoji and sat down next to him on the edge of the bed. He clasped the jackal's hand and held it to his nose, inhaling deeply. He then stuck out his tongue, catching the scent and letting it travel to his Jacobson's organ in the roof of his mouth. He also let the flavor spread over the taste buds that started after the fork.

"Listen Shoon," Shoji said. "I was thinking-"

"Therefore you are," the hybrid said dryly. Shoji couldn't help but chuckle. They both had an odd sense of humor.

"I am, therefore listen," he said. "I know I helped you every now and then, but I've never been a part of the...business. I was thinking that maybe I could...join the Jade Hybrids."