Chapter 109: A Day in The Life of A Criminal Lawyer

"Yes I know I'm late but I'm here now," he said, walking to the front of the waiting room and facing the group of animals there to see him. "The fact that some of you remained means you need my help more than anything, OR, you have an appointment to settle legal matters at an appointment I missed. As such I will only be billing you for half the time we spend. That's my offer, take it or get out."

Peter Vaasman pointed to the door and waited. No one moved in the waiting room and the fox fixed his tie, straightening up and smoothing out his suit.

"Good," he said, having taken control of his room. "Now that that's out of the way, give me a minute and I'll see you all in the order of your appointments. I had a hiccup today and overslept, I'm sure you all have mishaps in your lives. I just ask in our meeting you be understanding, and I will extend you the same courtesy."

The fox nodded to his secretary bird secretary as he headed into his office. She cast him an unamused look, flipping through her catalog behind the glass. The fox closed the door behind him and leaned against it, checking his watch. He was two hours behind schedule. He could do this. Speed round.

He landed his briefcase on his desk and pulled out a file, placing it flat on the wood. He then closed the briefcase and put it next to his chair which he sat at.

"Send in the first appointment," he asked over his intercom. He checked his cufflinks and unbuttoned his suit. The door opened and a coyote walked in followed by a roadrunner. He stood and greeted both of them, shaking the hand of the coyote first before walking around the desk and pulling out the chair for the lady.

"Okay," he said, the table set. "I apologize again. Love the perfume."

The roadrunner glanced a look at the fox before smiling, flattered.

"Now," he said, sitting back at his desk. "We can make this very simple. Randy here, will agree not to contest your claim, which he has to do as the insurance policy holder."

He motioned to the coyote.

"He'll also waive the conflict so I can help you Debra," he continued turning to the roadrunner. "You agree to drop the criminal complaint, and we all agree to keep this agreement completely private."

"And what if the insurance won't pay?" she asked.

"They will," he confirmed. "It's a lot less than the cost of litigation. I also know the claim's adjuster. He's a friend. A giver. Corrupt."

The roadrunner smirked at the joke. But if she had caught on to Peter's completely deadpan look then she would have possibly considered the fact that the fox was in fact not joking. And that was the idea.

He looked at the two animals. Randy had already agreed, so he was looking for confirmation from the avian. She looked like she was onboard, even though she wasn't really okay with how the agreement was going about.

"The only thing left then would be the apology," the fox said, turning his full attention to the roadrunner. "We would like it to be both oral and written."

He stared at the bird. She nodded and looked at the coyote, who was looking at her as well. She sat for a moment before realizing what was being said.

"Wait, you want me to apologize?" she asked in utter disbelief.

"In person now," the fox confirmed. "And in writing, so his daughter can read it when she's older."

"Why would I ever apologize to him?" she asked in disgust.

Out of the corner of his eye, Peter saw the coyote look down in defeat, like the agreement was falling apart.

Peter leaned forward and the roadrunner shrunk back a little at the vulpine's sudden invasion of her outer personal space, even though there was a full desk still between them.