Chapter 90: The Show Will Go On

It was a long night, and Adler had taken in only a few criminals, leaving them outside the guard's outposts so they would be found. He had tied them down so they couldn't escape, but it wasn't as effective as when he had a car to take them to the police station. He knelt on the edge of the rooftop, waiting for Yuta to come fetch him. He needed a good rest after staying up the whole night.

The car pulled up and the old sheep stuck his head out of the driver's side window. Adler gave one final look before climbing down and going across to the car. Stepped into the back of the car and took off the mask. He then started to change in the back of the car.

"Be a blessing once the manor's rebuilt," the butler said. "Make this a lot easier to do."

"And I could store another car without it being found," Louis added. "Won't have to change in such tight places."

"Sir," the sheep said. "Might I suggest that perhaps you move Adler into the apartment? You could then use the building's roof and make your way into The Drusk from there."

"I'll think about it," the deer said, doing his best to keep the gear somewhat neat in the travel bag. It was difficult in a car.

"Anything happen while I was out?" he asked, stifling a yawn.

"Not much," the butler said. "Azuki was able to close a small deal with a company her family had ties to, so the new company is coming along. Taking its first steps, if you will."

Louis took off the athletic prosthetic and slipped on the more casual wear one. He leaned back in the seat and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, only a few seconds later to him, Yuta was shaking him awake. They were back at the apartment. The sheep had dropped off Adler back at the storage facility and driven him back home. He stepped out and squinted in the rising sunlight. With Yuta as a guide he walked inside and into an elevator. He took it up and walked out onto his floor. He then took his key and unlocked the door, entering the apartment.

Azuki was there, she had a bandage on her finger.

"You have a letter," she said. "Dropped off this morning just as curfew lifted. Personally delivered to the door."

She handed him the opened envelope and looked at Azuki. She shrugged, still waiting on him to look at the contents. He dumped them into his hand and the first two that he saw through the grogginess shot him wide awake. A razor blade, and single ticket to a performance the next day of Adler: God of Death. He stumbled. Did Razor know? How? Why was he sending these? What did he want?

"Who delivered these?" he asked.

"Some old badger," she said.

Louis understood the bandage. He unfolded the letter and looked over the note.

You know the drill. Show up alone or the hostage dies. Yes, I have a hostage now. I see one single policeman, agent, or guard member inside and they'll take a rather large tumble. That's all, good morning.

Louis' grogginess came back and his legs almost collapsed under him.

"Yuta," he said. "Call the CPD and tell them about this. I'll formulate a plan with them when I wake up."

The deer shuffled off, but only made it to the couch. He fell on it, passed out.

"I think you should wait until he wakes up to call them," Azuki said.

"Agreed," Yuta nodded, looking at the ticket.

"Do you think he knows?" Azuki asked. "Razor. Does he know of Louis' escapades as a caped crusader?"