Chapter 65: Is There A Best Word For It?

Legoshi's eyes opened groggily. He turned to lay on his back, looking up at the ceiling. Another day of work lay ahead of him. It was surprising how...normal...life had become after Razor went into hiding and claimed The Drusk as his. If not for the memorial areas proving that many had died in the attacks, one may not have noticed anything happened at all. It was an odd sensation to say the least. He looked over to Haru's side of the bed, and sat up seeing she wasn't there. He sniffed at the air, tracing her scent. He swung his legs over the edge and followed it around the room. First to a scale, then to the fridge. He saw a bowl of breakfast being made, but it was half done. He traced her scent out the door and turned his face to the shared bathrooms on the floor. They were still in place, even after the renovations, as it was cheaper to keep the plumbing in the same place. She was fine, and thus returned inside the apartment.

He pulled a shirt from the bin of clean laundry. He'd have to fold it all when he got back from work. He looked for the matching pants. Of course they were at the bottom, underneath everything else. He piled the two and grabbed a towel and soap. He could take a quick shower before heading out to work. He took everything up in his arms and opened the apartment door to Sebun helping Haru.

"Is she okay?" he asked, stepping out of the way.

"Mild stomach bug," the sheep said. "You get ready for work. She'll be staying home and calling in sick today."

"Is there anything-"

"Legoshi," Haru interrupted. "Just get ready for work. I'm fine."

The wolf did as his wife had told him, and left the room for a shower.

~~~~~

"You're sure you want to go through with this lie?" the sheep asked.

"It's a phase," Haru said, going for the medicine cabinet. "It'll pass, and then things will be normal."

"Not for long," her neighbor said, looking around her at their apartment. "Eventually you won't be able to hide it."

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," the rabbit said, pulling out a bottle of stomach relief medicine and downing a capful.

"But he's a wolf," Sebun said, turning back. "Won't he smell something before you even start to show?"

Haru put the bottle back and buried her face in her hands, leaning back against the cabinets. She wasn't sure how to feel about this. It honestly couldn't be anything else. As a woman, she just knew. There was no other way of explaining it. It was a gut feeling that was never wrong, like a sixth sense.

"If it's any consolation," Sebun said, walking up to the fellow herbivore. "You could take the day and see a doctor. Get a solid answer. Or use a common drugstore test, though I'm not sure of the accuracy of those."

Haru couldn't help but chuckle a little. The youngest of her and her siblings. Though she was the first to get married so it wasn't that surprising, but it was still a strange sensation. She placed a hand on her stomach and sat there, unsure of how to feel or think or act. She'd always known this was going to be a possibility, that it was bound to happen at some point or another. But why now? It seemed like a cruel joke to have this happening with all that was going on.

"Don't tell him," she requested. "I'll let him know on my own time."

"Alright," the sheep said. "But it would be best to do it sooner rather than later. Men don't like being kept in the dark. Especially when it comes to children."

Haru lifted her face to the ceiling. It wasn't just Legoshi she'd have to tell. It would also be her family, and she could only imagine how that would go.