Chapter 81: Laying the Groundwork

"So that's it?" Azuki asked.

"For now," Louis answered.

The two had spent the morning up and about, making the apartment look somewhat nice before they had a few guests that day. Azuki was going to be meeting with people there and Louis would be out at an appointment made with a company. Entrepreneurship was difficult to get started, there wouldn't be a moment's rest until whatever company they started was far enough along that they could. That might be years away.

"You don't sound convinced," she said, taking a seat on the couch, satisfied with the state of the room.

Louis turned to look at her, leaning back on the stone island countertop with his hands.

"It was too easy," he said. "He went too willingly. Practically turned himself in. There were also reports of two animals being chased, but they only caught one. That and he hasn't said anything yet. This feels like it was planned. Or at the very least a backup in case I brought the police, which I did."

"Sounds like a cult leader," she said, examining her nails. "Control over hundreds of animals and he gets them to do his bidding."

"Yeah," he partially agreed. "But this guy doesn't seem to be the usual run of the mill cult member. And it's been confirmed that they're organized crime."

"I know," she said. "But usually the mafias would keep themselves secret. Not start wars with law enforcement."

"We forced his hand," Louis said.

"What?"

"The police chief kept prying," he said. "We all did. I bet if we had left him alone after the Meteor Festival we wouldn't be in this mess."

"Well the Beastar called the national guard before the festival," she said.

"The point I'm trying to make is every time we move against him," Louis said. "He ends up pushing back just as hard, if not harder."

"I just want to say that he was the one who started everything."

"No," Louis shook his head. "We started everything by tearing down the Back Alley. This all started because, in his eyes, we attacked him."

"He's the one who started it because his family created the Back Alley," she pointed out.

"Maybe they wouldn't have created it if the consumption of meat hadn't been made illegal," he added. "We can go back and forth all day, but that doesn't change the fact that we're all somewhat to blame."

"You're saying there was nothing wrong with the Back Alley?" she inquired.

"I'm saying it was a necessary evil," he said. His prosthetic leg felt heavier on his hip. He often wondered how different life would be, or would have been, if carnivores were allowed to consume flesh from willing donors. Certain individuals may still be alive, and he may still have both of his legs. Then again, how would you be able to regulate something like that? Herbivores could still be harmed and documents could be forged. Con-men would have a field day forging documents for carnivores. It might have actually made the world more dangerous for them. There was no clear answer, and each vague solution would've had its own separate downsides.

"I find necessary evils to be only means of pacification," she said. "Never really solving any problems and prolonging solutions."

"That still puts most of the blame on herbivores," he pointed out.

"I guess you're right. We're all to blame in some capacity," she said. "What about the other issue?"

"What other issue?"