Chapter 75: Living In The Eye

"It's tonight, right?" Reina asked.

"Yup," Shoji said. "The anniversary of our official relationship."

"I remember today quite differently," she said. "Filled with betrayal along with the one and only time we called an ambulance."

"You know that was your fault," the wild dog said.

"How?" she asked. "I was in a relationship with him, you were the stripper he was cheating with. I had every right to walk in on you."

"You weren't even in love with him," he sneered. "You gave up on him that night."

"Because I knew there was nothing between us," she said. "We tried it out and it failed. I was upset because he had slept with you countless times before we broke up."

"It's almost as if you don't care," he said.

"I've learned to live with myself," she stated. "I'm all I need."

Shoji sipped from his glass and placed it back on the counter. The apartment was silent and the wild dog reached into his pocket, pulling out a small box. Reina almost choked on her drink upon seeing it.

"Is that what I think it is?" she coughed through the alcohol burning in her trachea.

"What do you think?" he asked, opening the small box and turning it towards her. She looked in upon the silver band. There were no inlaid jewels, or etchings in the metal. A pure, silver ring.

"How did you even afford that?" she asked.

"Worked my tail off," he answered.

Reina took the box and looked closer. There was an engraving on the inside.

"Checkmate?" she asked.

"An ironic gesture," he said. "I'm hoping he understands it."

"You're sure about this?" she asked.

"We've been together for two and a half years," he said. "He's got a year and half left, at best so, yeah, I think so."

"He told you?" she inquired, raising an eyebrow.

Shoji nodded.

"I thought we'd have longer," he said, choking up a bit. "But the world is cruel."

His eyes darkened and he downed the rest of his drink, reaching his hand out for the box. Reina returned it. He snapped the lid closed and slipped it back in his pocket. He remained in this hunched over state as he did his best to control his emotions.

"You're going in that?" she asked, breaking the silence and referencing his getup; Blue jeans and his black and white tie-dye, Rorschach test looking "Evil Grief" t-shirt. Over that was a leather jacket, cleaner and simpler than Shoon's old one. Unlike his boyfriend's, Shoji's was faux leather, and as such didn't have as much of a pungent scent as the real stuff. The material was a lot smoother as well, and lighter. More for looks than any practical use such as keeping warm or protected against the elements. It had no hood and instead had a collar with a single button to clasp it around his neck if he zipped it up. With his pant legs around the top of his boots he looked like some kind of biker.

"It's a metal concert," he said. "Not really considered a formal event. And even then, I have to say I think I look rather dashing."

"Indeed you do," Reina said.

"You look fine yourself," Shoji said.

"Shame I won't be joining you," she said, looking down at her own blue and black dress. "Though I have to say that metal music isn't really my taste."