Chapter 74: Proxy

"I'm telling you I can't remember anything between those words and this morning," Wiru said through agitated breath. "I-I can't even remember the words he said, or what he was doing. All I know is I cornered him, had my gun to him, and then blackout."

Masumi raised her eyebrows as she looked through the pane of glass at Melon, who was sitting calmly handcuffed to the table. He had a few bruises and scrapes from the night before but seemed rather, chipper for someone in cuffs. It was becoming harder and harder to believe the stories the agent was spinning. Melon? Of all she knew about him, being this manipulative and hidden was completely out of character. And the mental manipulation Wiru was suggesting definitely didn't match what she had come to know as his personality. The hybrid wasn't the kind that seemed to have the patience the agent was describing.

"You want another go at him?" she asked.

"I'd prefer to watch," he said. "If you hear a loud thud, he's said something to induce another seizure."

Masumi left the room and entered the interrogation chamber. She sat down in front of Melon and looked him dead in the eye. He didn't say anything, just sat there and looked right back in her eyes. His predatory eyes unnerved her, but she didn't let her face show that they did.

"Usually it's the police who start the questioning," he said, leaning forward a little. "In case you forgot."

Masumi folded her hands and placed them on the table between them, and the hybrid sat back in his chair. He licked his upper lip.

"We found you," she started. "At the scene of a crime. There was no one else around. The body was found in the furnace: unrecognizable. You fled the scene. Why?"

"The likely conclusion you were bound to make was that I committed the murder," he replied. "That is not true, but it was highly unlikely anyone would listen to me so I ran for my life. I'm not ready to be falsely accused of crimes I didn't commit. I have more to do."

"Such as killing more of Razor's men?" she asked.

"I didn't do it," he said with a smirk. "I think if you were to sweep the scene more thoroughly, you'd find that the only thing I left at the crime scene were footprints. My hands never left my pockets."

"There's no other evidence of someone there except you," she said.

"That's odd," Melon said, looking behind her through the mirror. "Because I saw someone else there before you arrived."

Masumi glanced her eyes over her shoulder.

"Unfortunately he doesn't remember much after his seizure," she said.

"I was surprised as well when he started convulsing at my feet. Is he alright?"

"We were able to track him from the entrance to the killing room and then to the place where he collapsed. No other footprints outside him, you and my men."

"Interesting," he said. "Must have been a fluke that he was able to use shoes or boots exactly like ours."

Masumi was stuck staring at him.

"And what does our federal agent think happened?" he asked.

Masumi looked behind her, as if seeking approval from him before continuing.

"He believes," she answered, turning back. "That you knew what shoes the killer would be wearing. He believes you orchestrated all of it and bought the real killer time to escape."

"He thinks I planned everything?" Melon asked in disbelief. "Do I seem the planning type? It was an accidental mishap that the killer was wearing shoes similar to someone elses. A coincidence."