Chapter 69: On With The Show

Facts concerning the case are still inconclusive, Masumi read. However, it is clear that the resulting verdict of innocence was acceptable. Even though Wiru Gureamu was found with the murder weapon in his hand, there was no evidence to suspect he pulled the trigger. Further investigation and medical records show that the investigator was most likely having a seizure when the doctor was shot.

"Spying on me?" the dog asked, standing symmetrically in the doorway.

Masumi quickly clicked out of the window.

"Agent Gureamu," she greeted.

"I understand your uneasiness with me," he said, stepping into her office and closing the door. "Believe me, I would too if someone like me showed up in my city."

"I wasn't-"

"There's no point in lying to me," he said, raising a hand. "Is there anything I can clear up?"

The dog sat with clasped hands in a chair across from her desk. He was in the same get up from early that morning, his face soft, though she could tell his expression could harden at the blink of an eye.

"The report says the murder weapon was found in your hand, though you weren't the one who pulled the trigger."

"Yes," Wiru said. "I was in a seizure induced by my psychologist. He was supposed to be helping me with my condition, but instead decided to play around with my mental stability."

"And this doctor is the same one you mentioned in the report?"

"Yes," he said. "He has since gotten away, but it's sort of a passion project of mine to find him. And now you are thinking that sounds insane, well you're not the only one."

"What is this condition?" she asked cautiously. The canine's behavior had become seemingly very aggressive in just a few seconds.

"No one's entirely sure," he said in a calmer state. "I believe myself to be on some spectrum. My doctor called it 'pure empathy', though I'm not sure how much I can believe him. My colleagues like to think of me as a sociopath. It depends on who you ask really."

"What about in the alley?"

"Simply interpreting the evidence," he said.

"I've seen many people interpret evidence," she stated. "But not in the way you have."

"That's my way to interpret evidence."

"It says in the report, you killed another killer, who you say was set on you by your doctor."

"That was in self defense," he responded with a smirk that stayed on his face longer than the police chief felt comfortable with. The federal agent didn't remove the look from his face.

"I just want to make sure the people working in my city aren't the killers they track," she said.

"No need to worry," Wiru said, still smirking. "I'm not the one beating people to death with piping."

"Why are you here?" Masumi asked, changing the subject.

"There's not much I can do with the evidence you have," he said. "Everything has been cleaned from the crime scenes so I can't really do anything in that department, and your own profile is pretty solid as is. We know where he's located, it's just a matter of trapping him. I'm here to bring you a message from the guard."

"What?"

"The guard will be here in a few days," he answered, leaning back. "We'll have the strength then to take The Drusk."

"Is that all?" she asked.

"No," he said, leaning forward again; His hands never unclasped in his lap. "I'm here to help you catch this killer of killers."