Chapter 107: Agreements

He was pronounced dead only a few hours ago, yet it still shocked him to see Agent Wiru carried out from the morgue in a coffin. The cause of death? A brain tumor. Even in a vegetative state, the canine had refused to let his attacker be his killer. He didn't have any family back home, or friends, but he'd still get a proper burial. He would make sure of it. The coffin was loaded into a helicopter to be taken to an airport where his body would be flown to his hometown and be buried on the shores of the lake he loved so much. There was a small burial site there. The wolf shook. It just didn't seem real. He looked up to the bear next to him.

"How's your arm," he asked.

"Fine," he answered. "My head's still ringing."

"Yeah," the wolf sighed. "A minor concussion will do that to you."

"What now?" the bear asked. "That's two of us down and one of us threatened. How far are you going to go with this theory?"

"More than a theory," the wolf said. "Results came back. That DNA to that fur found at the first crime scene came back. It belongs to that dog I had you following. And that boat that appeared out of nowhere? Stolen from another dock by a leopard-gazelle hybrid. It was then seen being used by our golden friend."

"You have all this evidence?" the wolf nodded.

"Then let's go get the son of a bitch," he pressed.

The wolf caught his remaining agent by the arm.

"I need to file a formal request to reopen the case," he said. "They labeled it as closed a day after Wiru was found. They just wanted to close it and focus on Razor."

"So what now?"

"Head back," the wolf said, looking after the helicopter as it took off. "Make sure no one does anything to the evidence and be ready to move. If I play my cards right, we'll be going back with a small handful of killers."

~~~~~

The building was dark in the blackout, but everyone was working when they could. Rustling was heard from people walking around, going through manuals, written rulebooks, and paper reports, doing things the old way. Paper being crumpled and tossed into the trash bins, or placed in piles for shredding. The power suddenly came back for a brief moment before the power went dead again; faulty generator. Damn thing should have been replaced years ago. Without warning the gorilla secretary opened the door to her office.

"For god's sake!" the chief shouted. "What have I told everyone about knocking?!"

She stopped upon seeing the hybrid.

"Hello Masumi," he said through a smile under his mask. "I would like to talk."

The horse stood in silence for a moment. Everyone outside was catching on too, and pausing to look at the stand off.

"Back to work," the horse ordered her men. "Hadian, close the door and please stay here for a moment."

The gorilla did so and awkwardly stood there next to the door.

"Close the blinds and have a seat," she added.

The gorilla did just that, sitting in a chair against the wall.

"To what do I owe this?" the horse asked.

"Let's sit," the hybrid suggested moving to a seat across the desk. "Might be here a while."

The police chief hesitated and Melon didn't move from his spot. He didn't even look over his shoulder to see her reaction. Just sat there, not really smug, but still with an air of control around him. The suddenness of the hybrid's appearance was definitely a little shocking for the chief, no doubt. So she would of course have to play along. She took her seat behind the desk and the two stared at each other for a minute. The desk worker just sat apprehensive, kneading her hands.