Chapter 123: It Is The End

The medical equipment beeped. With the new electricity coursing through the circuits once again, they hummed with fresh energy that was welcomed. The hospital was finally able to work at max efficiency and were turning out patients as quickly as possible. Louis just stood awkwardly in the room, looking at the two bodies. He didn't feel like sitting. Sitting was for family members staying the night. As an emergency contact, he had been called upon the wolf and rabbit being admitted to the hospital. On any other day he might have found it to be a nuisance, but tonight had been long and torturous, almost deadly for them. 

Legoshi was the first to wake up, groggily but still enough that the deer noticed.

"Thank god," the deer sighed in relief. "They thought you might never wake up. There was so much blood loss, they thought the damage would have been permanent."

He stood at the foot of the bed, hand gripping the plastic to steady and hold himself upright. The equipment was the only noise in the room's silence.

"How the fuck did I survive?" the wolf asked.

Louis took a beat of hesitation.

"You didn't," Louis said plainly. "You were dead on scene and they had thought you were a lost cause. It cost me a shit-ton of resources, contacts, and favors, but I called in my own doctor. Your body was still warm. An hour in the OR with his own staffing and he had you fixed up enough that your heart started beating again with CPR. He brought you back. I'm sure your grandfather's reptile genes helped out too."

"Haru?" Legoshi called, looking around weakly.

"She's recovering," Louis said, letting go of the bed to lean on the wall behind him. "The bleeding hadn't been as severe. She was able to survive simply due to the fact that she had been passed out for the entire ordeal and her body was already making changes to deal with tremendous blood loss. Herbivores, as it seems, though more sensitive, can withstand a lot more traumatic injury than carnivores."

"Where is she?" Legoshi asked weakly.

"In the next bed over," Louis answered.

The wolf pulled himself up and the deer rushed in front of him, trying to push the larger animal back down.

"You might not feel it," he warned. "But you're about to rip thousands of stitches. Inside and out."

Legoshi pushed an ounce more but Louis hand held firm on the wolf's chest. He gave in.

"You've just come back from the dead," the deer said, unlocking the bed's wheels. "You shouldn't even be talking, let alone moving yourself."

Louis wheeled Legoshi over to the next bed over, careful none of the equipment became dislodged or unplugged. The wolf carefully twisted his head to look at the bed he was now next to. He carefully reached his large hand over to hold his wife's arm as she lay there, blood being transfused back into her system. There were thick bandages wrapped around her neck, no doubt that there were stitching's underneath. And a large, empty gap where her flesh used to be. That would never, fully heal. The wolf's eyes teared up as he drifted back to sleep, still holding tightly to his wife.

The doctor came in and saw the two beds next to each other and looked at Louis. The deer just shrugged. The stork didn't seem to have any qualms. It had been a long, stressful few months. He understood.

"You're the emergency contact?" he asked.

Louis nodded.

The doctor went to talk but Louis put a finger to his lips. The wolf and the rabbit were sleeping peacefully together, and the wolf's injuries weren't in danger of tearing open. Best to leave them to sleep, heal, and recover. The deer motioned out the door, gently moving them out of the room, despite the storks' protest. But Louis just put a tiny bit of pressure and the bird bent, not wanting to get too hurt.