Chapter 78: Code Black

The whole walk was basically moving a block before hiding from the helicopters patrolling the air. He slipped under an awning and looked down the road. He had been right. Roadblocks were being set up, keeping everyone outside and inside. Anyone who lived in The Drusk had to prove they lived there before being let in. And there was no letting out. Which would mean they'd be sweeping The Drusk to look for him. He'd stop at Club Orchid before moving around to hide from the sweeps. Club Blood would be out of business for a while and he'd have Reina be in charge of the place until he returned. The helicopter flew overhead and he slipped into the street. He pulled up the manhole cover and jumped inside. He reached up and pulled the metal back in place just as the machine flew back overhead. He slipped through the sewer systems back into The Drusk. He moved in increments, taking pauses to listen closely to the noises topside and see where he was.

It took him twenty minutes to do what would have taken him five and crawled from a sewer outside the club. He shifted the grate back in place and stood. He looked around the road. The guard hadn't begun a sweep yet, but they would soon. He turned and rushed into the club, the guards letting him pass. He shoved through the crowd and sprinted up the stairs. He came to a skidding halt at the bar.

"Shoon?" Reina asked. "What's wrong?"

She noticed something else.

"Where's Shoji?"

"Code Black," he said to the panther. "Don't ask, just do it."

He then turned and sprinted for the elevator, taking it up to the hotel. He jumped from the cab and ran for the suite elevator using his key to unlock the system. He waited impatiently and dove through the doors when they opened. He had to move faster, urging the box to move faster. When it dinged and the doors opened, he ran through them into the apartment and pulled out a black backpack and started to shove things into it. He switched out his pants for his black tactical cargo pants. He put on his tactical belt with his karambits attached. Opening the drawer on his nightstand, he pulled out his revolver and harness, strapping them around his chest. The elevator dinged and Reina marched in with concern.

"What the fuck is going on?" she asked. "Code black?"

"Did you execute it?" he asked.

"Yeah," she said. "But..."

Shoon continued to frantically pack and move around the room.

"Shoon," she called, trying to get his attention. But he wasn't listening.

She grabbed him by the arm and held him firmly in place, as if trying to ground him back in reality.

"What is going on?" she asked sternly.

"The national guard has arrived in Cherryton," he said. "They're sealing off The Drusk and will be sweeping the district soon. I'm going into hiding. You won't hear from me or see me for a while. Until I get back, you're in charge of the building. Keep Club Blood closed and sealed. Remember that cypher I taught you?"

"A little," she answered. "But-"

"Keep an eye on the advertisement column in the Daily Yowler," he ordered. "Look for the ad selling a purple jade dragon. Got it?"

Reina moved to a table and grabbed a pen and notepad, jotting everything down.

"That's how I'll keep you updated," he continued. "Do not try to contact me, and no matter what happens, unless I say otherwise, stay here. No one is to come for me unless I say so in the advertisement."

Reina noticed the ring on his finger.

"Where's Shoji?" she asked.

"They took him," Shoon said. "He pretended to be me and they took him. It was my fault and now I have to make things right."

It made sense now. Why he was so scatterbrained, no longer his cool, patient self. He was helplessly drifting.

"Business as usual?" she asked.

"Keep everything stagnant," he said. "No Club Blood, but yes. Business as usual."

"What of the killer?" she asked. "The men have taken to calling him the Jade Slasher."

"Keep my trap set," he said. "He'll fall for it eventually."

"Some of the members are starting to doubt you care," she said. "Using them as bait and such."

"Well tell them to use the buddy system," he retorted.

"Boss," the watch walkie talkie whined from the panther's wrist. "Club Blood has been properly closed and sealed."

"Get to clearing the auction room," Reina called back.

"On it."

A helicopter flew by outside.

"I need to get going," Shoon said.

Reina gave him a gentle kiss on his cheek, taking him back a little bit.

"Don't forget your meds," she said, turning and leaving for the elevator.

Shoon took a moment to collect his thoughts. He shook off the stolen coat and threw it into the bag. He went to the closet and took a black hoodie, throwing it on over the gun and harness. It wasn't as heavy, nor as nice as his old leather one, but it would have to do. He went back to his bag and did a final check on everything. Content with everything he had, he moved to the vent. He pulled off the grate and threw the bag down. He was about to crawl through when he looked back for a second and saw Morrígan. The mantis seemed to look after him, wondering where he was going. He sighed, standing and going to the insect. He placed a cockroach in her container and it ran around. She watched it and made ready to catch.

"I'll be back soon girl," he said. "Hopefully."

He went back to the vent and used his hands and feet to hold himself up. He snapped the vent back in place and slid down the duct, all the way down one hundred floors and kicked out the vent in a private room in Club Blood. He crawled out and shouldered the backpack, putting the vent back. He then pulled aside the curtain and opened the small window. He listened intently for the helicopters or anything that might indicate the guard's location. He crawled out and closed it behind him, making his way for the sewer system, back out of The Drusk.