Chapter 98: Pressure

Yuta carried the last box from the old room. They were moving apartments again. Yuta had to call on some old friends and contacts he hadn't spoken to in years in order to hide the records of purchase. Louis didn't even want to step foot in the old place since the incident. He had stayed in a hotel locked away in solitude, taking only calls while they finalized sales. Not even Yuta had seen him. Only heard him over the phone. Azuki's funeral was today. He wondered if Louis had been there while he was busy organizing the move. He wouldn't be in the new apartment until tomorrow.

On the other end of the spectrum, Adler had been making more appearances. Not just in The Drusk, but whenever and wherever even the slightest news of Razor or The Jade Hybrids was heard. Criminals were becoming more careful of what they said and where they said it. The vigilante had taken down an entire drug ring when a low level seller used the Jade Hybrids as a cop out. They all subsequently died in prison riots. Someone hadn't liked being used as a scapegoat.

The butler was worried. Everyone was in over their heads. More people were going to drown, and join the pile of bodies that was stacking up. It was a dark thought, but if enough died they could stand and keep their head above water. Hopefully a lifeboat would come soon. The sheep gave one last look at the apartment before closing the door to the empty space, leaving it empty for the next tenant.

~~~

"See any family?" Pina asked.

"No," Louis responded shortly.

"Anyone there you knew?"

"No."

"Just her friends?"

"Yup."

The deer sat in the car's passenger seat with his arms crossed looking out the window. It was more of a memorial service, as there was no body to bury, but Louis had paid for a small crypt with a plaque. If Razor sent any remains, which didn't seem above him, then at least they had a place of rest. He shifted when the car went over a pothole. There was silence in the vehicle for a few, long, awkward seconds.

"Thanks again," he said out of the silence.

The dall sheep stayed quiet, not responding to the gratitude. The reporter wasn't doing as well as he used to since a few recent brazen articles, and in his off time Pina had become somewhat of a paparazzo selling to the highest bidder to get by. A grieving celebrity might be good press, but he knew to draw a line. He had been assisting Louis in escaping the other paparazzi's and news outlets trying to get an image of the reclusive ex-Horns Conglomerate president. Mostly by spreading false rumors to keep the others going on wild goose chases, while he went about on his business. He kept a lookout and always scoped a building for back entrances/exits to be used by the chairman. He may have been a part of the bloodsucking machine that was celebrity press coverage, but he wasn't that heartless.

He made a pass at the hotel entrance, eyeing for any of the signs. He didn't see any loiterers outside the entrance, but across the street he caught the glimpse of a single car with two individuals he immediately recognized. He had no idea how they found out, or if they were just eyeing possible places that Louis could be staying.

"Using the back entrance," Pina said, driving past the front of the building and left down a road and into an alley. He parked the vehicle and waited. No one was following them, which was good. He waited a few more moments before giving Louis the okay.

"Coast is clear," he said.

Louis shuffled around in his pocket, pulling out a wallet.

"No," Pina said, putting up his hand. "You don't need to pay me. Not this time."