Chapter 92: So Nice to Have Had a Proper Chat

The first act finished in just over an hour and a half. An intermission followed, during which Razor turned to Louis.

"I don't really like gender-bent performances," he said. "You?"

"Why don't you like them?" the deer asked, just to entertain the hybrid.

"It's just insulting," he said. "First off it's changing the original work from how it's supposed to be performed or perceived. But not really, because, 'we aren't actually changing the script in any way'. Secondly, it's insulting to performers, directors and other playwrights. 'We couldn't think of any original, fresh ideas so we're just going to switch the genders of the characters. That should work. Let's not put any brainpower into creating new and exciting characters or plots. Or let any new writers into our little incestuous circle.'"

"I have to use the restroom," the deer said, standing to take a break from the situation. "If that would be alright?"

Razor nodded.

"If you're not back before the end of intermission," he warned. Pointing to Gosha, Louis got the idea. He couldn't help but notice the hybrid was looking just a little bit...disappointed.

The deer left the room, turning into the hallway and reaching into his pocket once the door closed behind him. He had felt alone that entire performance. Razor acknowledged him, but didn't treat him as if he were actually there. Gosha had other things on his mind rather than focusing on the deer. He needed to be reminded that he wasn't entirely by himself through this ordeal. Turning his phone back on he texted Azuki that the intermission had come and he was alright. He sent it just as a text from Yuta came through. Its delivery had been delayed by the phone turning off and back on as the system warmed up. It had been sent a few minutes after the start of the show, as the timestamp said. The name followed by just one word made his entire body run cold as his blood froze.

Azuki's missing. 

He dialed her number and held it up to his ear, listening to the dial tone and he nervously paced back and forth in the hallway. It was picked up by Yuta.

"She left her phone here," the sheep said.

"She never forgets her phone," the deer added.

"I've spoken with the security guard of the building," the butler said. "He saw nothing out of the ordinary. We went over the security footage and saw nothing. I personally looked throughout the entire apartment and noticed nothing out of place. It's like she just vanished."

"Call the CPD," Louis said.

"Already did," he said. "They're here right now...someone wants to speak with you."

"Hello?" someone else asked.

"This is Louis," he said.

"Louis," they answered. "This is Masumi, Chief of Police. We can't find any viable fingerprints or signs of forced entry. We're guessing they grabbed at the door as she answered."

"That's not possible," he said, taking off Ibuki's glasses and rubbing the corners of his eyes. they felt off to pull from his face. They were heavier in his hand; most likely due to the thicker material. they dangled in his hand and he caught himself staring at his reflection in them. With his visage faint, he looked as transparent as a ghost. He was half expecting to see a few more spirits appear behind him, but none did. Not Ibuki's, not Ogma's. And thankfully not Azuki's. Yet. He felt more alone now than he did in that booth.

"She always checked before opening and there's a camera in the hallway," he said, snapping back to reality. "If she didn't know who it was, she wouldn't open the door."