two.

In alarm, I put my hands up in surrender, slowly bringing one down to place my gun back in its designated spot. I didn't survive escaping the giant herd in one piece just to die with an arrow through my skull. I'm not trying to die today.

"Daryl,' warns a male with wavy brown hair, blue eyes, dressed in a way that reminds me of a cowboy sheriff steps forward, observing me with weary eyes. "Have you seen a little girl with blonde hair?"

"No, I'm sorry. Only a walking corpse that got me nice and wet,' I purse my lips, shaking my head. Using a hand to point at the weapon still in my face, "Can you stop pointing that at me?" I request.

With a grunt, the crossbow finally lowers revealing a man with intense Georgian blue eyes, and short brown hair. Great, the man who almost kills me is quite beautiful. It didn't escape my notice that he still doesn't trust me. Noting, he hasn't completely put the weapon down. I take a step back from him, finally bringing my arms down. I feel my back connect to a tree, stopping my retreat. At least, I'm further away from the danger oozing from this stranger.

"I'm Rick." The cowboy introduces himself, bringing my eyes back to him, "This is Daryl," he directs my attention at the archer. "That's Glenn, and Shane." He draws my awareness to the Asian, who seems to be harmless enough.

I face the fourth member standing in front of me. Shane, I'm guessing, gives me a feeling that there was a monster just lurking under the surface of his brown eyes. My stomach drops just by being in his presence. Judging by the looks of him and the aura he gives off, I decide I want nothing to do with him. I study him up, like the other two, he has brown hair. I cock my head at him, noticing that he carries himself like Rick. Cop too? Was Rick a cop?

"We just lost a little girl from our group. She's about 12, with blonde hair. She was last seen in a blue shirt running along this river... we saw you come from that direction." Shane persists with a hint of an accusation in his tone. My eyes flick to his hand where it's resting on his gun. Suddenly, I watch as his face twists in recognition. "Hold on. You were the woman that ran into me. You gave Sophia and Carl food."

I purse my lips, puzzled. Memories of that night flash through my mind. "Oh, no. The little girl? She's missing?" I shake my head, deciding it's best to answer the first question. "I heard someone yelling for a girl; I'm guessing it was one of you, but I haven't seen anything besides the one corpse I put down. It wasn't a little girl, or have blonde hair, if that's any consolation. I'll keep an eye out, though" I sigh, running my hand through my blue hair. "I'm Vanessa."

"Her trails gettin' cold! Are we gonna stand here and talk, or are we gonna go look for this little girl?" Daryl's thick southern accent dripping with irritation. "We are losin' daylight!"

I take that as my cue to grab my bag to resume my never-ending journey. I haven't been around people in months, and I'm not sure how I feel about Shane or Daryl, my would-be assassin. I had no destination, just hoping to get back to Ohio in one piece. "I hope you find her," I nod at them, turning to leave.

Rick, ignoring the archer, inquires, "Vanessa, we have a group back on the highway, if you're willing to join us. From the looks of you, it seems like you've been on your own for some time. There's safety in numbers."

I take a second to study each person standing in front of me, eyeing them wearily. Rick seems to be genuine enough, with an air of a fatherly protector. He's a leader, through and through. Even though, Daryl is ready to get back on the trail, he's waiting for this man's word to move on.

Glenn still hasn't said much of anything, but he's watching with me the same curiosity Rick is. Something about his eyes clues me in that he wears his heart on his sleeve and tries to do what's right by those he loves. For some god-awful reason, I trust him.