thirtythree.

"I acted like a damned child back there." I admit. The embarrassment soars through my soul. Sitting on a chair in my dining room, Abraham kneels in front of me, gripping my hand, wrapping it in a white bandage. He had washed the blood, cleaning the wound, helping prevent any type of infection. Because that would most certainly be my luck. "I lost my cool. But I wasn't there for Beth. I couldn't protect her, or Noah. Tyreese. Fuck, even Hershel. Abe, I'm sorry."

"Thats some shit, you ain't got nothing to apologize for. I get it. You want to protect everyone, but you can't and that's how the cookie crumbles." His face serious as he works diligently. "Don't put that world of a burden on your shoulders." I groan, not wanting to argue. "The way I see it, you're a damn good person. I've heard the war stories. You running into a hail of bullets. I can see it." I frown, listening. "You know what, back in Iraq, I lost half of my unit because some bastard ass Unabomber got the jump on us. I didn't have time to save them. That shit still haunts me, little Blue." I perk up at Daryl's nickname for me. "Shit happens that's out of our control. I'm proud to call your feisty ass family, fucking shit little lady, I'm honored to fight by your side of that were ever the case." His eyes find me once he's finishes fixing up my hand, letting it go.

"Thank you." I whisper. "I'm glad Rick let you join our little band of misfits." I hang my head, fidgeting anxiously with the hem of my black shirt. I'm still in my run attire. I can hear my bed tauntingly call my name from where I sit. I'll just shower before work in the morning. I'm ready for the stupid fucking unsuccessful day to end.

"I knew the second you came in guns blazing that you and I would be fast fuckin' friends." He smiles, eyes sparkling. He straightens up to his large height, watching me intently, taking in my deposition. "Don't be so god damn hard on yourself. From what I hear, there's a new relationship here and he don't need you killing yourself with this bullshit. Since y'all have been reunited, I've seen a whole ass new side to him I didn't know existed." He pats my arm. "It's refreshing to see. Ya know, he almost wanted to kill old Father Gabriel for joking about stealing his squirrels. Nice to know he has a soft side." I chuckle at the story. Yeah, that sounds like the Daryl Dixon everyone knows.

"That tracks with him." I smirk. 

Rick stalks through my door at that moment, the two of us turn our attention to him. "When you're done with her, I need to speak with her." Abraham nods at Rick's order. My eyes find Glenn standing behind our Sheriff. Great. Family meeting for three? This is going to be fun.

"Thank you, again, Abraham."

"Remember what I said. You can't prevent the liquid shit from hitting the fan." He heads to the door, not without acknowledging the two men that have invaded in my home.

"Thank you." Rick murmurs to him, closing and locking the door behind the giant redhead. Glenn lowers himself into a chair opposite from me.

"What the hell happened on that run?" Rick questions, crossing his arms. I anxiously listen for the second time today as Glenn recounts the events of the day. I wasn't there when Noah went down. But Glenn clued Eugene and I in during the trip back. I rest my head against my hand, soaking in the details.

"They don't know what they're doing. Any of them." Rick scoffs when Glenn finishes retelling the story.

Glenn shrugs, "we'll show them."

"I don't know if they can see it. How things really are. I don't know if they can yet." Rick shakes his head. "They haven't caught up."

Deciding I've heard enough, I stand without warning. The legs of the chair loudly glide along the floor as I push off the table. They both face me at my sudden movement. "I'm going to fucking bed. Stay if you need to. Lock the door when you leave." I spin on my heels, heading for my bedroom.