seventyeight.

Rick POV

"Vanessa?! Do you copy?" My own eyes meets Daryl's intense gaze, concern radiating between the two of us. "Shit!" Damn it! I run a frustrated hand through my hair, not hearing Vanessa's soft, breathy tone from the other side of the radio; instead we are met by silence. "I'm gonna go back and see what the hell is going on." I gesture towards Aaron and Enid, "stay with him."

Aaron is laying in a cot inside the makeshift infirmary; Enid is flipping through a book Siddiq had gifted the younger woman with darker hair. I wince when her pleading eyes land on me. She needs Vanessa's help.

Aaron's arm is a mess of muscle and bone; very little flesh remains on his arm from the incident of the log falling on top of him. He's facing an amputation. I observe as his face twists in pain and fear. Daryl lowers himself down next to our friend, offering his own strength so Aaron is able to come out on the other side of this.

I spot Daryl's gaze continuously returning to the radio held tight within my grasp, hoping his wife's voice will suddenly burst through the static. We heard a pain filled grunt halfway through her sentence before silence descended on both sides. Soon, Daryl will have very little courage to offer if Vanessa doesn't turn up. He leans on her a lot more than she realizes; she's been his light and fortitude since they crossed paths.

Daryl nods, face tight with worry; for his wife and Aaron. "I gotta bad feelin'." Me too. "Come back with my wife and Charlee."

Without another word, I rush off in the direction of the lumber site. Every worst case scenario playing on a loop inside of my imagination. Please, let them both be okay. I can't lose Nessa or Charlee. When we all thought we had lost her at the prison, Daryl barely held onto his sanity; I don't know how he'll react if I don't return with his wife in tow. I realize they aren't on the best of terms, but he will still burn down the world if she's hurt, or worse. She holds all of us together more than she understands. When she ran off to Ohio, it was one of the hardest weeks we've endured since we've been reunited with her.

Daryl sits across from Kelly and I; anxiously fiddling with his fingers. I watch the redneck curiously, as he carefully picks his words, unable to meet our gaze. I spot Carl leaning against the doorway behind Daryl, observing the scene with growing interest.

"Daryl, what's going on?" I inquire, my own voice soft. It's unlike the archer to be uncomfortable in front of myself and Kelly.

"I wanna marry Blue.." he whispers quietly.

My blue eyes widen at the news while a giant shit eating grin paints my face. Kelly chuckles, reaching into his pocket. "It's her mothers ring. I had planned to give it..." I scrutinize Charlee's twin, spotting his face twist in uncertainty, he clears his throat, "anyway, it's yours. I'll hold onto it until you're ready."

I stand suddenly, with an idea in mind, racing up to my room, returning a only few moments later. I place my own wedding ring in Daryl's palm. His mouth falls agape, "Rick, I can't -"

"You can and you will. Lori is dead. Before she died, we were already falling apart. It needs a new home." I interrupt, cutting off any argument Daryl might have. "You've been waiting for her. Now she's yours. Don't let her go, man."

He turns over my ring inside his fist, hope dancing on his face. His eyes return to Kelly, "I have ya permission? Her parents are gone -"