seventynine.

Charlee POV

Coming up empty on my search for my best friend, I stalk through the gates of Alexandria in the dead of night, heading straight for the man who killed my twin. As I reach the door that leads into his prison, a thought occurs to me. I backtrack, migrating towards the Grimes estate. I pound on the door, realizing Rick and Michonne might be asleep, though, I find myself uncaring. Sleep, for anyone, can wait until I find Nessa. Her safety is of the utmost importance at the moment.

I glance over my shoulder, spotting a light on inside of Vanessa's home. The twins must be up, interrupting Tori and Wren's sleep schedule. I frown, realizing I have to bring them into the fold before I tell Daryl. I'm only holding off from telling her husband because he will stop at nothing to get her back, and we need him to stay focused on the bridge. We need the trade between all of the communities; we need that bridge. I will only bring him in if I come up empty, and get desperate. I've learned enough from him and Kelly over the years in terms of tracking; I'm begging the universe that it will not come down to that.

I run a hand through my hair, those poor twins are temporarily pulled away from their mother. Possibly longer than any of us have anticipated. Temporarily being the operative, mostly hopeful, word here. I don't want to consider what will come of any of us if Vanessa doesn't return to us.

My blood runs cold at the sound of several bullets flying through the air accompanied with shouts. A tone that's all too familiar is mixed inside the sounds. I dash off with determination to the area it had come from with Kelly on my heels. Vanessa; shock reverberates my soul. She's fucking alive! I spot her glaring up at the man with a knife for a hand, holding a pretty girl with brown hair at gunpoint while an asian man is at my best friend's side. I watch as Nessa's face twists into an anger I've never witnessed from her, suddenly realizing that it must've been her that fired the first shot, by a quick sweep of the scene.

I spare a second by throwing a knowing glance at my brother. He nods, shock written all over his face. He's been dying to be reunited with her. We both have, and now she's only a few feet away.

"Kelly! It's her! I have to get to her!" I whisper, running passed a nearby car when someone grabs my waist dragging me back. I thrash, trying to break free of the hold. A dark hand wraps itself around my mouth. Panic starting to claw at my throat, frustration glides along my flesh.

"Shh," the strangers mouth inches from my ears. "Just wait. He's not a good person. I have a plan, but I need you to stay with me."

"No, my best friend is in danger," I plead, tone muffled by her hand, memories of Owen and Vanessa coming close to death begin to overwhelm me. I attempt to peel this woman's arms off of me, though, not sensing that I'm in any danger. "Kelly, please!"

"I'm sorry; but I think I know where her group is." Vanessa found a group? Hope blooms in my chest. "I'm headed there. Come with me. I will try to get them back if they don't agree to help." She promises, voice soft. I glance over my shoulder, observing the sincerity in her dark eyes. I nod, feeling the air knocked out of my lungs. "Don't make this worse for her and her friends."

"Char, I think we should be smart about this," Kelly offers, tone tight. He's wanted nothing, but to be returned to Vanessa's side. I observe the pain on his face as his gaze returns to the four people only a few feet from us. I wince, realizing that his heart is shattered all over, again.

I return my attention, watching Vanessa get in the back of the van with a look of defeat and anger. I peer down at my feet; I can't fucking lose her, again, not when I've come so close to her after a year of endless searching. We were so fucking close.