fiftythree.

I spent an hour talking and laughing with Wren, strolling down memory lane, reminiscing in honor of Jordan when Rick had found us. He had asked me to join him to find Father Gabriel, sharing that he doesn't believe he just up and left. He has a feeling that he was taken right from under our noses. I mention that maybe this is a good time as any to take the truck to Hilltop, recalling my promise with Kelly. I also believe the sooner we get Jamie trained, the less Tori and I would have to worry about his safety. He had agreed, wishing me luck and safe travels on the road.

Jamie is sitting in the passenger seat, peering anxiously at the window, watching the world fly passed us. His face twists anxiously.

"Hey, you'll be good in hands, I promise." I grip his hand, glancing over at him for a second. "Maggie, Kelly, and Jesus will make sure you won't get hurt."

"Are you sure you can't stay?"

I know he's attached to my big sister, but I never expected that he would find that same peace with me. Finding myself speechless for the second time in twenty-four hours, I try to formulate an answer he'd accept. "Tori is there. I wish I could, bud. But with my husband going missing, they are going to watch me closely. I'll only have a few minutes before I have to return to Alexandria." He frowns, resting his head against the window. "Did you have fun with Carl?"

He grins, "yeah, he's cool. He said you were a superhero, is that true?"

I laugh, shaking my head. "To him, maybe."

"I think he's right." He offers, returning his attention to the world around us.

"Get some rest, kid. You're going to need it." He nods under my advice, closing his eyes. Soon, his breathing becomes even, falling asleep for the rest of our trip.

I pull the truck inside the gates of Hilltop

I pull the truck inside the gates of Hilltop. After turning off the engine, I wake my traveling partner, "hey, Jamie, we're here." He stirs, stretching before glancing around. He slowly opens the door, stalking out of the truck, waiting for me around the back. I follow his direction, seeing Kelly, Jesus, and Maggie saunter up to us.

"Back so soon?" Jesus teases.

Kelly wraps his arms around me, "up for helping me with training?" He questions, face filled with mischief. "Jesus has helped here and there, but I think it's time for the student to become the teacher."

"I can't." I step out of his embrace, smiling, "I thought I'd come baring gifts for training." Gesturing to the weapons I was able to get my hands on. "This is some of what I took from Kelly's house, among my other stops. Daryl and I found an empty house not far from Alexandria. I dropped off some there before heading here. This is all yours."

"You're amazing," Maggie grins. I observe as her eyes find Jamie, face twists into curiosity.

"Jamie, come here." He stalks up to my side, watching her wearily, "this is Maggie." I return my attention to the woman I once called a sister, "I have a favor to ask, and I know I don't have a place to ask that after..." I trail off as Glenn's death washes over me as if I've been doused with cold water.