twelve.

When I am able to finally catch my breath, I let Daryl go so he can check on his friend. He peers down at me, rubbing my arm in reassurance I'm not alone before he stalks away. Rick needs him more than I do right now.

We've become so close that sometimes we don't need to vocalize our thoughts. We just know what the other is thinking. 

Lori... Carol... T-dog. I can't fucking believe it. We lost pretty much half our group because Andrew wanted to be petty.

"Let me see the baby." Hershel orders, bringing me out of my inner monologue. Oh right, we have a baby now.

"What are we gonna feed it? We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl shifts towards the older man, inquiring about our newest and littlest member. He wasn't able to catch Rick's attention. I face Rick, observing him. I recognize that look, he's having a meltdown. Possibly a psychotic break. I wince, realizing I've been there. Maybe not that far gone, though. He's not on our planet right now.

"The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon, or she won't survive." Hershel informs the archer.

Daryl shakes his head, "no. No way. Not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run."

"I'll come, too." I turn back to him. I need out for a bit. I can't keep looking at the aftermath of the massacre. Maggie and Glenn let us know they that want to join, too. 

"Okay, think where we're going." He looks at Maggie, "Beth." He gestures for her to follow him; I give them privacy. I stalk towards the cars, figuring I'll meet them as we get ready to leave.

"You two get the fence. Too many pile up, we got ourselves a problem. Glenn, Maggie, vámonos. Get the gate. Come on, we're gonna lose the light!" I hear Daryl bark out orders from behind me. I smile, he's taking up Rick's mantle for the moment. Daryl has really stepped up for everyone, I'm proud of him. It doesn't take him long to catch up, as the sounds of his feet pounding the pavement meet my ears.

"There's a Piggly Wiggly on 85." Glenn says, as he and Maggie reach us.

"No, the baby section's been cleared. Lori asked me to keep an eye out. I haven't had much luck." Maggie shakes her head, as we slow down, now next to the cars.

"Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Daryl questions.

"We saw signs for a shopping center just north of here."

"Yeah, but there's too much debris on the road. The car will never get through there." Glenn glances between us.

"I can take one of you." Daryl calls over as he walks over to his bike.

"I'll go." I shrug, Maggie and Glenn nod at me, understanding I need to go. I feel like a damned cage animal already. I saunter over to the bike. He hands over my leather coat, without looking back at me. I climb on, wrapping my arms around his middle. I wasn't in the right state to drive my own.

 I wasn't in the right state to drive my own