seventytwo.

I was apart of the group filled with our biggest heavy hitters that was tapped to scout the area that was marked on the map that Dwight had given Gregory. We quickly learned after we dispatched a group of saviors that we were waltzing into a trap, so we had returned to Hilltop to regroup, re-tackle and re-vamp the ambush plan. We are currently stalking through a field with Daryl at my side, hand held in mine. Unease crawls upon my spine. I can't help, but think this is just another trap. Though, I keep my suspicions to myself.

I peer over the hill, seeing an army of corpses stumbling and groaning in tandem with us several yards away, not noticing us in their presence. I chew on my lip, never seeing a herd so huge. I hope that isn't foreshadowing our downfall today. I'd like to wake up tomorrow to a new world, not to be a stumbling mindless rotted mess. I glance around, feeling the air tense with anticipation. Something and everything will change today. Today someone will come out on top. I send a little prayer to the universe that it's in our favor. My fingers wrap around Abraham's dog tags, while anxiety uncoils around my stomach.

"Ya know, I'm excited to have this with ya." The archer speaks suddenly, gesturing towards my stomach. His handsome face concerned for me as he senses my deposition. Ahhh, so to get my mind off of the impending doom, he decides to now speak of our children. His timing is as impeccable as ever.

My neck snaps in his direction, grinning, "are you sure? Our blood mixing into one child is dangerous. But two? The world might be burning down around us in a few months."

He smirks, "nah, give 'em two more years. Can't rule the world before they know how to walk." His thumb brushes along the side of my hand, "when ya told me 'bout what Owen did, I had some small hope that maybe ya would get that family ya wanted. I feared that ya might've regretted that it would be me that somehow that gave it to ya." He confesses, "I know ya were mad when ya told me what Carson found, and I shouldn't have acted like that, but I was happy once the shock wore off. I'm havin' a family with the woman I love."

My eyes widen, "you weren't mad? I'd never regret our family." I tighten my grip on his hand in hopes that it would help reassure my husband.

He shakes his head, "nah. I ain't never been a man to want that kind of life with a wife, kids and white picket fence. When I met ya, that changed." He clears his throat, "I never had a girlfriend. Not with the life I lived before this. I was up my bros ass. When he was doin' a stint in jail, I'd be facin' my dad's wrath if he wasn't on one of his benders. I had no interest in women. Not that women had interest in me; outside of the occasional drunken or stoned hook up. If the world never fell, I might've been just as shitty to 'em and my children as my dad was if I ever found someone to love me." He admits awkwardly.

"You are not your father or Merle." I watch his face fall as he recalls his history. "I don't believe that. Even before this, you could've changed if you found the right path. But we might have never met, Dare. You're the best thing that ever happened to me." He's my light in this dark, ugly world.

"No," Jesus stalks next to us, brown hair flying in the wind, "you would've met each other. I believe that." His blue eyes sparkle as he glances at the two of us. "You were meant to be. Everyone sees it. Something else would've brought you two together."

"He's right." Tori struts up next to Daryl, "Ness, your path was already leading you to Daryl. James was talking about heading to Atlanta after Dad passed. He didn't want to move until then. Someone had to stay and take care of dad while we were up north since his wife died years before. He told me not to bring it up to you until it happened. He wanted to get you away from Ohio and Owen." My eyes widen at the news. "He was going to ask at the funeral. He was just waiting for Dad to pass."

"James?" Daryl questions curiously, eyes flicking between my sister and I.

"Our step bro-," whistling fills the air, interrupting my words. Daryl shoves me behind him frantically. We all raise our weapons in tandem. I glance around, swearing, not seeing a damn person. My cardigan billows in the wind. "It was a fucking trap," I seethe, fighting the urge to feel defeated.