thirtyfive.

The heat of the sun beats down on me, sweat breaks out along my body. It doesn't help I'm back in my leather pants and knee-high boots. I bring my hood over my head, trying to find some sort of relief in the middle of the chaos. I cross my arms, observing the scene in front of me. The smell of the rot from the dead causes bile to raise to my throat. After all this time, I'm still not used to it. Kelly and Charlee hang out on my left. Rick returns his attention to all of us who have volunteered to help lure away the walker quarry party of a thousand. "I know this sounds insane, but this is an insane world. We have to come for them before they come for us. It's that simple. This is where it all starts tomorrow. Tobin gets in the truck, opens the exit and we're off. He hops out, catches up with his team at red staying on the west side of the road. Daryl and Vanessa get on their bikes. Vanessa, you start the music on your bike, keeping their attention on you--"

The second Daryl and I broke through the gates, we tracked down our officer friendly. Rick wasn't surprised at our news. He and Morgan had also discovered them sometime in our absence while burying the exiled body of the man who killed Reggie.

Daryl and Kelly both have tried and failed to talk me out of participating on disbanding this dangerous rave of the dead. For the last few months, I haven't been out much. I can't sit back and let them have more fun without me. They know I'm beginning to feel like a caged animal. They relented upon realizing that I wasn't going to change my mind.

"You see that?" Sasha gestures to the other side of the quarry. I block the sun with my hand, watching with bated breath as a semi-truck stumble from the ledge directly across from us, and into the bottom.

"Fuck." I swear, realizing we can't wait anymore. "I'm guessing it's now or never."

"It's open, we got to do this now!" Rick bellows.

I fire off a few rounds as the walkers begin to cram their way out of the party. "Fuck, I should've brought more than my guns and knives." I barrel over to my bike, jumping on the second Daryl reaches his motorcycle.

"Ready?" Daryl's eyes find me, uncertainty behind the pretty blues.

"Hey, you and me. We got this. We make one hell of a team." I nod. The sound of the bikes roar to life simultaneously. I peer over my shoulder, waiting for Rick's signal.

"Vanessa, go." His words meet my ears from the walkie attached to the handlebars.

"Yes sir." I turn the volume up enough to create the perfect amount of noise. I let out a laugh as Synyster Gates and Zacky V's guitar riffs begin to fill the air. Avenged Sevenfold's "City of Evil" album begins to echo off the walls. "C'mon, you dead rotten motherfuckers!" I shout, "dinners served!"

"Ya are crazy." Daryl shakes his head, smirking.

I chuckle, feeling free. My brown hair blows in the wind. Daryl and I are one in the same when it feels like the gates are restricting. It's been so long since I was able to take my baby out. Pete signed me off shortly before his execution. I've been cane free for about a week now. "What? I can't hear you!" I wink, smiling.