sixteen.

After finding out the startling news, I sought Kelly out. Instead of going to bed, we were in the now deserted cafeteria with Charlee. We moved the tables out of the middle. Now they are next to the walls, giving us a mostly clear room. I had asked him to teach me hand to hand combat. I'm good with weapons, but not with my bare hands. Kelly is good with all of it, as he's very well rounded in all things violent. His hands might as well count as weapons, too. I'm standing in shorts and a sports bra, my short brown hair wrapped in a black bandanna to keep it out of my face. I had taken off my boots, dancing around the room in my bare feet. Kelly had pulled off his shirt but left his pants on; he's also barefoot.

High on adrenaline, I go to kick his feet out from under him, instead I'm on my back, with his hand on my throat.

"You're dead!" He frowns at me, "stop hesitating, I can see it in your eyes." He straightens up, hauling me up. Once my feet are back on the ground, he walks away with his back turned to me, drinking in some water. I silently run up behind him, jumping on a chair next to him before landing on his shoulders, taking him down effectively. I laugh, feeling proud. Though, it doesn't last long; he picks me up, throwing me two feet, landing on my back.

I moan, "damn it."

"This isn't fucking a superhero movie; you need to get your head out of the fantasy and think logically." His voice dripping with contempt. "This could mean life or death, I'd appreciate it with you lived, Plus, you were loud." He smirks.

I hang my head in defeat. "I will not let anything like Owen, or The Governor happen, again."

He hands his water over, helping me up a second time. "It won't. We will keep doing this as long as you want, but you're getting tired. Let's tackle this again later. If you push yourself too much, you'll rip those stitches open."

"No. I want to keep going." I speak between gulps. "I won't let myself break, again." He had taken the time to explain my actions from the previous night. Shortly after I had left the cellblock, the screaming startled everyone into action. He and Charlee trailed behind Rick, Daryl, and Merle until they reached the bathroom. Daryl and Rick were able to bust the door down after a few attempts. I almost introduced Merle to my sword, I turned on Daryl when he tried to stop me to protect his brother. But I said Owen's name when my attention found Daryl. I had handed the archer his ass twice in one day. That's embarrassing.

He sighs, "fine. Again!" He shouts.

I block his next few attempts, the last one landing on my stomach. Shaking it off, I come after him with punches and kicks - quite a few connecting to his flesh. I duck, seeing his next move in his eyes, I bring my leg up, kicking him in his face. Not missing. I shout with excitement when he backs up, staggering.

"Good job, Ness!" Charlee yells to us. I look over, smiling back at my pretty best friend.

"Take five?" I ask Kelly innocently.

His face sour, "Let's take the night. You finally managed to wipe the floor with my ass." He pours his water on me, "ass." We all laugh.

"Awe, baby, if you wanted me to be wet, you could've said something." I tease, wiggling my eyebrows, making kissy noises at him. He throws his water bottle at me, but I hit it out of the way before it lands.

This felt normal. For just a second, the world wasn't ending. We weren't going to war. We weren't stuck in Georgia. It was just another night for us. Sans the fighting, of course.

I grab an apple I had taken earlier, sitting down. "You know, If I would've said something earlier, years ago. I wouldn't have put up with Owen."

Kelly chuckles, "Nah, you should've called me sooner. Or you know, confess your love for me before you were god damn dying on that bed." His face winces at the memory. "It only took the drugs to drag it out of you."