fourteen.

Groaning, I open my eyes. The sun blaring through the window stuns me. I try to roll over, attempting to shield my eyes. Sounds of clanking comes from above my head as I realize I'm handcuffed. Swearing, "next them someone needs to wake me before the kinky shit starts." I deadpan. Wait, I'm back at the prison? Suddenly memories of the hell I endured run through my mind. I made it. I'm home. I made it out alive.

"Hey guys! She's awake!" Glenn's voice draws my attention to the door of the cell. I watch as Hershel limps in.

"Sorry, a precaution, you know?" The older man apologizes.

I nod. "Can you get me out of these? I'm clearly not dead... I think."

He chuckles, "no, dear, you are not." A frown forms on his face, "but with your injuries, we weren't sure. You've been out for almost two days."

Two days?!

My eyes fall on the door as Rick saunters in, unlocking the cuffs around my wrists. I watch the officer, trying to wrap my mind around how the hell I've been out for so long. I bring my wrists down to my chest, rubbing the soreness out the best I can. When satisfied, I pull myself up into sitting position.

"Welcome back to the land of the living." Rick offers, relief written all over his face.

"You're gonna need to rest a little while longer. The bullet grazed your thigh, but you got yourself a few stitches on various areas. You're officially out of the woods. We're happy to see that you made it, though." Hershel smiles warmly. "No starting fights with anyone."

"Vanessa." A familiar voice calls. No fucking way.

Feeling the blood drain out of my face, I return my attention to the door seeing Charlee and her twin brother, Kelly, standing in the doorway. Charlee steps in, lowering herself onto the bed next to me. She carefully brings me into her arms. "Charlee?" I bring my eyes to Hershel, "are you sure I'm not dead? 'cause they weren't here before." I motion of my friends.

I hear a few laughs ring out among our merry band of survivors.

She pulls back, not letting go, smiling. "I got your text as the news was talking about the napalm over Atlanta. We left shortly after when you weren't responding. Kelly and I searched everywhere for you. We watched as you got into that car..." her voice trails off.

"You're really fucking here." I feel the tears run down my face. "I missed you so much."

My eyes search my best friend. Her long black hair is braided down her back. Her dark brown eyes show relief. Like me, tattoos liter her fair skin and a few piercings set in her beautiful face.

"I don't want to interrupt this beautiful reunion, but Rick and I need to talk to Vanessa." Glenn states, bringing us back to reality.

"No, we just got her back!" Kelly crosses his arms, glaring at the Korean.

"Kells, it's okay. Please." My eyes find my best friend's twin. At my words, he and Charlee take their leave. Suddenly feeling alone without Charlee's warmth. I rub my arms.

"Carol is back. Daryl found her." Rick starts. I smile upon the news.

"That's great. But where is Daryl?" I realize I haven't seen him since I woke up. Ricks face falls at the questions. "No, don't say it. The last time you had that look, we found out you put Shane down... don't tell me he's dead." I panic.

"No, he's alive as far as we know. But he left with his brother." Glenn somberly informs me, both sets of eyes refusing to look at me.

Quiet, simmering anger washes over me like a cool splash of water. "But he promised." I whisper. I blink, feeling the hot tears leak out of my eyes. "With his brother? The same brother who kidnapped us, sent a walker after you, and the one who nearly fucking killed me. The - the one who held a gun to my head while I was raped?" A wave of dizziness blinds me for a moment.