fortytwo.

"I'm sorry mister Dixon, but are you married to her?" A strange voice questions; annoyance simmers just under his tone.

"Nah, not right now." Daryl growls.

"Then I can't tell you. But for all intents and purposes, she's going to be okay. There's no sign of a concussion. She's dehydrated, just needs some water and rest. No more adventures or jumping into fights for the next few days."

"You took her blood, and by the look on your face, you found something. You're saying you can't tell us?" Rick questions; a hint of anger rides in his voice.

"I will tell her when she wakes. It'll be her decision to let you guys know. I understand that you're worried, but I assure you, she's fine."

"What ya found, will it kill her?" Daryl quietly challenges. I crack my eyes open at the note of pain dancing in his gruff voice. My heart sinks at the sound.

The light shining through the window temporary blinds me. I move my head, groaning at the movement. I bring my hands to my head, still trying to get my barring. "Dare, you know damn well it'll take a lot to take me down." I rasp. "What the fuck happened?" The archer rushes over to my side, his hand finds my face, worry and fear paint his beautiful face. His blue eyes frantically find mine. My own hand searches out his face, my thumb traces little circles along his cheek.

"Ya are gonna be the death of me, Blue."

"You are okay, Vanessa. You just had a small fall. You hit your head on the way down. However, I'd like to speak to you alone." Dr. Carson walks over. I narrow my eyes, surveying his face before nodding. There's something serious and concerning hidden behind his eyes. I sit up, seeing Rick on the other side of the room.

"You heard the man, get out!" I point to the door.

"Maggie made the deal. We are packing the RV. We'll leave when you're done." Rick spins on his heels, Daryl leaves a kiss atop my head, squeezing my hand. I chew on my bottom lip, watching them leave.

Dr. Carson drags a chair over, lowering himself down. I cross my legs, not liking the somber expression on his face. "Okay Doc. I heard Rick say you got some of my blood. Give it to me. How long do I have?"

He smirks. "Nine months."

"What? I'm actually fucking dying?" I sputter. "No, you gotta be joking."

"No, you're not dying. You're pregnant."

I laugh. "Okay, now I know you're full of shit. I can't carry a child."

He cocks his head, confused. "What makes you say that?"

I sigh, rubbing my face. I begin to retell the story of Luna, and Owen; how Kelly and I tried, explaining what my OBGYN had informed Kelly and I after months of failing. This time I'm able to detach myself from the trauma. I refuse to fall down that rabbit hole again.

"Okay. Well, we can do an ultrasound." He motions to the machine next to him. "But it might be too soon to find the fetus." I hang my head, trying to process what I'm hearing. "Blood tests are rarely wrong. If you have doubt, you can take this with you." I glance up, seeing a bag in his hand. I reluctantly accept. I open, digging around. "There's two at home tests and a few bottles of prenatal vitamins. Take it when you're ready."

I feel the tears fall from behind my eyes. "I lost my only child to a weird pregnancy anomaly. Then my ex stabbed me in the vagina with a knife. I was told any hope of this." I gesture to my stomach, "that this would never happen. I don't know if I can process it in here." I point to my brain. "I don't know how to tell him." I whisper.

"Vanessa, if I may, that man never left your side while you out the last few hours. I have a feeling, it'll be okay. It's normal to be feeling all of this at once. Only you can understand where every single one of them is coming from. Sit him down and talk to him when you're ready. Take a moment to yourself before you leave, okay? I'm going to go stand outside that door, so you have that moment alone. You don't need a witness for that. And no more getting into fights. Doctors' orders." I glance up upon hearing his footsteps retreat; I watch him close the door behind him.