eightynine.

As we approach the gates of Hilltop, and for the first time in almost two days, I pull off my mask, and unfasten the hood, allowing it to hang around my shoulders, revealing my short brown hair. I gasp as the fresh air assaults my lungs. I hungrily suck it in. The downside of the mask is that it gets a little hard to breathe after awhile. Aaron's eyes locate me, finally seeing my face for the first time in six years; he quickly glances away while we take up the rear, holding onto the horse supporting our fallen friend; Daryl leads our somber group atop his bike. Michonne guides the horse that holds our blind folded hostage while our two newcomers walk in tandem with the rest of us.

Before we were home free, we were followed by another group of the skin walkers, but we were able to take one with us; my heart fell at the sight of the young woman with dark hair once the mask was yanked off of her head by Daryl. She's only a child; this world is entirely too cruel, but she might be able to produce answers to why they decided to hunt down two of our members and attack us unprovoked.

I sit beside Jesus, watching Caroline and Kellin play with James and Wren in the front yard. I smirk as Kellin shouts with excitement when Wren rushes off in a different direction, allowing my son to give chase; he eventually catches up, tackling her to the ground. He's only four, so she dramatically falls to appease the tiny human, "Oh no, you got me!" She chuckles.

"So, have you given any more thought to my offer?" Jesus questions.

I shrug, "I told you, I can't come back."

"Can't or won't? Because at this point, it feels like you're avoiding a certain redneck." I mean, he's not wrong, but I'm not going to let him know that he's on the right track. At my silence, he continues, "you know you can't run away from him forever. He started trading with Hilltop, and talked about doing the same with the Kingdom. You aren't exactly hidden completely away over here. Besides, he's your soulmate, Lilith. It's only a matter of time before you fall back into his path. He's not taking your death well. He's grumpier than usual. He needs you to come back."

I scoff, "he has Leah now."

He shakes his head, "from what I heard, she left him high and dry because he picked his family over her." I begin to pick the cuticles around my nails, growing anxious. I didn't know that. No one knows that I met the woman in the flesh, and handed her ass back over to her. She got involved with the wrong person, and I'm not talking about Owen.

"I don't know if I can forgive him," I quietly admit.

"You will. I know you. You still have that big heart. Not only that, I'd sleep better knowing you were behind gates before something big happens. You're not protected out here."

"I can handle myself."

"You can, but you can't protect everyone if you were to get overrun by the dead or evil assholes decide to attack in the dead of night. You're not invincible. None of us are. We are all just living on borrowed time. I want to be able to feel better, knowing you're safely tucked away with your family. You belong with us. You don't belong out here. We need you to come home, Ness."

Jesus will get justice; I will personally make sure he gets it.

Now through the gates, I hang my head at the look of devastation displayed on each and every face as they register that their leader has fallen. The group begins to disperse when Tara approaches the horse; I spot Aaron hugging Enid near the Barrington house, both have tears leaking from their eyes. I remember Jesus mentioning that he was growing close to Aaron. He needed someone after losing Eric. I can't imagine how Aaron is feeling. He's lost so much since I met the sweet man. I return my gaze to Tara who seems unsurprised by my return, but sending my group here must've been a dead giveaway.