fortyfour.

I'm having a staring contest with the pregnancy test laying in front of me. I wonder who will blink first. I hang my head, trying to process what my own eyes were seeing. This morning, I had realized my period was over two weeks late. I was writing it off as stress induced because it was chaotic for a moment in time there. It doesn't help I found myself jumping into some fights. My body sure hated me for awhile after. Though, since Rick and company have returned, things have seemed to settle down. On a whim, I dragged one out and took it.

The door swings open. I peer over, seeing Abraham lean against the doorframe. "I needed to shit." He shrugs. "Ya were takin' too long. I had to make sure ya didn't fall in or get attacked." His eyes find the test laid out on the sink in front of me, he straightens up. His face grows serious. "Oh, shit on a stick, what's the verdict, judge?" I grab it, handing it over to the giant redhead. He pursues his lips, understanding what is in his hands. "So, when are ya tellin' the ole man that he's gonna be a daddy?"

I run my hand through my hair. "Soon, I think." How could this possible? It's medically fucking impossible. "I don't know. I have a few new worries in play now. But I have to and I will. Few days tops."

"It'll be okay." He nods, hearing what I'm not speaking. "Carol is out front with him now."

"I should go see how she's feeling. Bathroom is all yours." I toss the test back under the sink before I head out onto the porch.

Daryl mentioned they had cleared the compound without incident. By the end, someone tried escaping on his bike. He mowed the guy down. Not long after, Rick put him down since he wouldn't divulge any prudent information. In the midst of the fight, Carol and Maggie got kidnapped. He thinks she's not handling it well. I can't say I blame her. I was mess when I had returned from being held hostage.

Their head snaps at the sound of the door closing behind me. Upon seeing that it was just me, they return to their conversation. They were sitting on the steps, smoking a cigarette together. I stalk over, leaning against the railing, pulling my own out.

My eyes flick to Daryl, remembering what I have to eventually tell him. I don't even know if he wants children. We haven't exactly had a conversation about what we want for the future because it always seems bleak and dreary. We've been living in the moment and stealing our happiness when we can.

"Hello, Vanessa!" Carol smiles over at me.

"How are you doing?" I ask. She stalks up the railing, peering up at me.

"I'm okay." I survey her face before nodding. I know she's lying, she just doesn't want anyone to worry about her. I've been her, both with the kidnapping and having someone you love hurt you in unimaginable ways. I know the small details most others might overlook, and her tells are screaming. I've had to force a happy front once upon a time.

"I'm here, you know. If you need to talk. I've been there." Her face falls at my sentiment.

"I know. Thank you."

I spot Rosita approaching with Denise as Carol takes her leave. I straighten up, heading down the steps when Denise waves me over to join their little powwow. I come to a stop next to Daryl, cocking my head. "What's up?" I question, curiously. 

Rosita motions to Denise, "she asked us if we could take her somewhere."

"After I got out of DC, I just drove. I remember seeing it right when I realized I had no idea where I was going. Edison's Apothecary and Boutique. It's just this little gift shop in a strip mall, but if it's really an apothecary, they had drugs." Denise's eyes find me. She's grown into a friend of mine since I help her in the infirmary from time to time. I genuinely find myself liking her as person. Lately, we've been bonding over growing up in Ohio. We both have agreed it was shitty no matter what part you're from. But sometimes, you can't help but hear it try and call you back into its endless corn fields and bullshit.