Abandonment

I cradle Emma for what seemed like hours, she became quite when she heard Scott come out of his room, and into the bathroom, then back to his room. "Emma what happened?" My voice cracks slightly, trying not to ball my eyes out. She hands me a manila card, and then hands me another white envolope.

I watch her for a minute until, I open the cards.

Dear Savannah McCall,

We would like to inform you that Camden Matthew Lahey, has been killed during his 2 year tour in Afghanistan. His family has been inform, and are in the process of organizing his funeral with the help of the Army. The belongings of this soldier will be sent out to the family for you to separate them equally among each other.

We are very sorry for your loss, please call if you need anything.

My heart sank into the deepest part of the earth. I dropped the letter on the floor, mouth dropped and ready to cry into a deep hole. I ripped open the second letter.

Dear Emma Ruiz,

On the day of March 30, 2007, at 1:38 am. Beacon Hills Police Department were called into the home of Andrew Ruiz, to find him laying of the floor. He had 7 bullet wounds on his back, while his throat was slashed. We would like for you to come in as soon as possible, to identify your fathers body.

Please call us if you need anything else.

How could these letters come at the most worst time of our lives, were losing the people that we most love due to people who want to hurt us. I wrap my arms around Emma, sitting down on the couch, crying our eyes out quietly. "I'm so sorry Emma." I whimper in her ear. "I'm sorry too." She repeats back.

I manage to stand up with Emma, and walk up to my room. "Get some rest, we have a lot to think about tomorrow." I help Emma into bed, while I get in the other side. "Your mom said it was okay that we didn't go to school this week." I hug Emma, "Okay, we will." We fell asleep with tears coming down our cheeks hitting our pillows.

It was already the afternoon, and Emma was still asleep. I got up to go into the shower, and got dressed. When I got out I put on some tights and a gray over sized T-shirt, with socks to match. I check my phone, to find 2 text messages from Laura, and 3 phone calls and voice mails from Derek.

'Hey Savannah it's Derek, I was just worried about you, since you didn't show up to Spanish. I just hope it's not about last night.'

'Hey Savannah, I was going to go and pick you up, but your mom told me you were going to be staying home for the day. I was just calling to see if you were alright.'

'Okay Savannah, you can't just keep ignoring my calls. I'm really worried, please answer you phone.'

The text messages from Laura were the same, wondering where I was. But I just really didn't want anyone to know about what happened, I wanted to be there for Emma and her for me. "They called didn't they?" Emma peaks her head from the covers, "Yeah, they did." I put my phone back on the night stand, and cover myself. "I don't want to face them, not the Lahey's, not the police. I'm just scared to see their bodies." Two tears come down my face, and I wipe them off. "We're going to have to deal with it, like were supposed too. That's what they expect from us, our pack. We need to be strong for every one else, then we can vulnerable to each other."

Emma finds the strength to get up and take a quick shower, then get dressed. "Let's get this over with."

We walk out of the house, and into our cars. "I'll see you when I come back, call me." I say to her, as we pull out the drive way, and into the opposite sides of town.