Hopeful

"Argent! They're waiting for you down the hill. Here take a flash light." One of the officers guards the cars nearby, hoping to catch something before anyone else. Spots of light dance all around the trees, I see groups of officers talking to each other and making a plan on the maps they are handing out. "We call to make sure we have cleared the place. We cannot let this animal leave here alive." I join the group of hunters watching them nearby, thankfully they were my kind of people. They packed themselves up with ammunition, handing me a gun of my own. "We head west, Kate and Leo your heading down to the river, the rest of y'all spread out around the perimeter. You heard them, don't let this animal out alive."

We pack more into what we could fit into our pockets, only having the flashlight guide our way down the hill, we tie a rope around us to climb down. Leo goes before me, making sure everything is clear to come and investigate, "Alright, Come down. Slowly." Taking out step at a time, I manage do get down without a scratch. The water was still, like ice. Only the reflection of the moon lights our way. "This is beautiful." Leo walks near the body of water putting his hands on the edge, sending little ripples to the center. "I'll head down the river, I won't be to far." He walks up and over the large rocks, losing sight of him seconds later.

There was no sound coming up from above me, no lights were near, it felt calm. Hearing the trees move around you, the whistles of the branches, you could hardly ever think that the woods would be a dangerous place. I sit down, laying my head against the large rock behind me.

I start to have thoughts of the baby, the different colors of the bedroom. Their clothes, bed, and toys. I couldn't even imagine the pain of labor this could cause for me, but it would totally worth it, for this baby.

The crack of a branch alerts me, I get up quickly and take out my gun, pointing directly to the left of the river. "Leo?" I whisper. But no sound comes through, "Rafael.." And then the bush suddenly moves, "Okay this isn't a joke come out." When the bush doesn't move, I put my gun down, walking to the noise. Then all of a sudden, this big black thing flies in front of me pinning me down to the ground. We struggle a bit, until it manages to get an advantage of me. We roll to the body of water, making it easier for me to get up, and see that the black figure was the animal we are chasing down. In gets on all fours, positioning itself for attack, getting low and then jumping back down at me. I shoot it 4 times, 2 in the stomach and then in the legs, but nothing takes it down. I run for the rope, but it was too late, it bit my leg dragging me down. He took bites all over my body, my arms, legs, and stomach.

Before it leaves, it sets out a large howl to the moon, following 5 other howls. Shots are being fired at it, coming from down above me and to the side. "Kate!" But I start to lose consciousness, the last thing I hear is the cry of a child.

"A young woman, Age 19, Bite marks all over her body. Keep the air circulating, heart beat 56." The noises numb my ears, light come through my eyelids. "Kate, your gonna be alright okay, I'm gonna be right here with you." Rafael's hands squeezes mine before I enter, what seems to be the ER. Doctors enter the room, scrubs, mask, and gloves all freshly put on. Metal scaples, tweezers, and needles, are dragged in by the cart. "Scaple." I feel slight pressure from my body, "Tweezers." My breathing becomes heavier, but doesn't seem to alert them that I can feel everything their doing. "Needle and Thread." In the speed of light, my hand squeezes the railing beside me, a nurse puts the mask back on me. "Her heart rates going back to normal." "What about her baby." The Doctor mumbles something to his assistant, "It's in good health, it's gonna survive."

2 Days Later

I open my eyes to see Rafael pacing in the room, worried. "Hey.." I get the strength to sit up from my bed, but he helps me before I do. For some odd reason, he looks at my stomach, brushing his hand on it, "What's wrong?" He doesn't say anything because he's interrupted by my doctor. He greets Rafael and then myself, "Good to see you awake, Ms. Argent. I hope that you have a good two nights rest, since your going to need it in the next few months." My eyes shoot to Rafael, who isn't showing any emotion to what the doctor just said. "Thank you. When will I be able to take her home." He searches for something in the papers, "Today, actually." And then the tension began.