New Life

In the middle of the night, I get a horrible feeling, something that was unbearable. Like thousands of needles stabbing me in the stomach. I reach for the phone and call Chris, "Hurry..I need your help..call the doctor." On the other end, you hear Chris scramble for his pants, and his shirt. "Call Victoria." And then the call ends. I lay in my bed until I could get the strength to get up, I take the covers off, and walk to the bathroom, grabbing my clothes that I was going to put on after I was gonna shower. "Dear god, hold on for a little while longer Savannah." I grab the railing down the stairs, taking it one step at a time.

The door bells rings, Chris was looking from the window seeing me struggling. When I open the door, he doesn't hesitate to grab my hospital bag and take me to the car. Victoria stands nearby to help me get comfortable. "The hospitals not that far away, think you can handle it." "Yeah..I..can."

"Well Ms.Argent, I think we are now coming to an end. Your daughter will need to be induced today, which means if you can get your stuff and head to the nurses office. They will get you into a room, until your ready to push. We can get the whole procedure done, now if you sign here for the epid-" I sign the paper work with no hesitation for the epidural. 

I didn't have to tell Chris to go and pick up my clothes from the house to the hospital, since he didn't even forget to bring that with him.

At the hospital, I call Rafael and tell him to get the Doctor ready to come and proceed with the plan. Traffic was empty, no sign of cars, or huge trucks, coming out into the highways. The garage at the hospital was filled with cars though, so Chris dropped me off at the emergency entrance, and I got help right away. Doctors were ready for my arrival, in which they didn't hesitate to put me in a room already. I laid in my bed for a few hours until finally the epidural kicked in, I felt the numbness in my legs come. Chris and Rafael came in the room right after, leaving my bags and making sure I'm comfortable with my labor.

"Are you okay? Do you feel any pain." He grabs my hand with his shaky ones, I give them a nice squeeze reassuring him that I'm perfectly fine. "I'm good, how's Melissa. Is she okay." He did seem surprise that I was worried about her, but why wouldn't I be, she's being forced to take my child. "She's fine, the Doctors with her. When I left she was being injected, so she'll be out for a day or so, and won't wake up until the Doctor gives here something." "Well she's gonna be surprised when he sees that she's gave birth.'" We laugh together, and it felt normal, like how we used to be, we talk a little longer until my contractions kick in.

The pain was still manageable, but there would be times where Rafael or Chris would need to hold my hand. The door opens and my Doctor comes in with reinforcements, "Are you ready to have you baby girl in your arms." I nod, trying to control my breathing. The nurses gather the materials, while some of them position my knees to reach my chest. The Doctor positions himself where he came see the baby's head coming. "She's coming out in a hurry. Okay, when I say ready you give me a nod and then take a deep breath and push, Nurse Jane will count you off to 10 and then you wait for my signal again, got it." I get ready for the signal, but another contraction comes through.

"Go." I push as hard as I can without knocking myself out, "4..5..6..7..8..9..10." I take miniature breaths until I await the next signal, "The head is out. Give me another big push like that, and it won't take long for you to meet her." I give another push, when the room is filled with the cries of my baby girl. "She's here. You were amazing, I love you." Rafael whispers to me. The doctors give Rafael the privilege to cut her umbilical cord, after he does, they clean her up, and bring her to me. "Oh god, she's beautiful. My beautiful baby girl, I love you so much." I kiss her little nose.

She's so fragile, so small. Rafael and I can't seem to stop looking at our daughter, once the Doctors and Nurses leave, they let Chris and Victoria in the room. "Oh Kate, she's beautiful. Can I hold her?" Victoria reaches out her arms as I place her, I get some rest for while. Chris and Victoria take turns holding her, while Rafael left to go check on Melissa. "You should get some rest, you won't be strong enough tomorrow for her. Chris and I will make sure that we keep her comfortable, and leave her in the crib when we leave." I close my eyes, drifting to a well earned sleep.