the meeting.

1992
Springfield, Ohio

Kennedy Allen was the smallest girl in her grade. She'd skipped the first grade and placed out of the second, making her the youngest girl in the third grade. While Kennedy was extremely smart, she was not extremely popular. In fact, most of the kids in her grade hated her.

They would mock her, do stupid things like stealing her gloves during the winter or have sleepovers solely so that they could not include Kennedy. It was mean and it was petty, but Kennedy didn't take it to heart. At the end of the day, she was there, and they weren't getting rid of her.

During recess, Kennedy typically read a book since her classmates wouldn't even allow her to play in their made-up games. Sometimes they came over and laughed at her, other days they'd leave her alone. Today was one of those days that Kennedy was getting laughed at.

"Look guys, it's the baby," Jessica Riley teased.

"Enjoying your picture book?" Jessica's best friend, Emily asks.

"Actually, there are no pictures in this book," Kennedy replies as she looks at it, "It's the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's really good."

"I doubt it is," Emily retorts, as she tilts her head, "Don't you know how lame you are for reading at recess?"

"You guys don't let me play with you. I'd much rather read anyway," Kennedy responds bluntly.

"Because you're a baby and we don't play with babies."

"I'm six," Kennedy answers, "Babies are younger than 12 months. Toddlers are younger than three. I'm a child. You guys are three years older than me, also making you children."

Jessica scoffs, "You're such a weirdo. Why do you know that?"

"Reading," Kennedy says, "My mother bought a lot of maternity books when she was pregnant with me. Sometimes when I'm bored, I read them."

"This is why no one likes you," Emily states with a laugh. Jessica joins in and Kennedy frowns at them.

"Hey Em, what happens when a baby loses her book?" Jessica asks.

"I don't know, Jes. Let's find out."

Before Kennedy has the chance to react, Emily swipes the book from her hands and holds it with a wide grin, waving it in Kennedy's face. Kennedy reaches out to grab it, but Emily snatches it away with a grin.

"Please give that back," Kennedy says, "It was a gift from my dad."

"Was it?" Jessica asks as she takes the book from Emily. She opens the book to a random page, tracing her finger over it, "What would your dad think if I just," she begins tearing a page and Kennedy feels as the tears start to form in her eyes.

"Please don't," the youngest girl pleads.

"Aww is the baby crying?" Emily taunts.

"Give her the book back," a new voice orders.

Three heads turn to look at the owner of the voice and both Jessica and Emily relax at the sight of the new girl who had joined their class a week prior. Her family had moved into the house next door to Kennedy's, but the two girls hadn't interacted. She had short blue hair and rarely spoke, but unlike Kennedy, she was tall and that alone protected her from the harsh words of their classmates.

"I don't think so," Jessica responds.

"Who even are you?" Emily asks.

"Doesn't matter who I am," the new girl orders, "Now give the book back."