nine.

2012
Outer Banks, North Carolina

"Welcome to the Outer Banks!" Reagan exclaims as she jumps out of the car, holding her arms out wide. She lifts the sunglasses that were over her eyes on her head and grins at Natasha, "Can you smell the salty air? Is it filling your lungs?"

Natasha glances at Kennedy unsurely before looking at the younger Allen sister, "Um yes, I do believe that I am inhaling salt air."

Kennedy chuckles, "Leave her alone, Reagan, and get the bags out of the car."

"What am I? A slave?"

"No, you're a child. Now use your youthfulness and grab those suitcases."

Reagan points a finger at her older sister, "Only because you drove us down here will I listen to you."

Kennedy shakes her head as she looks over at her mom who had her eyes closed and was leaning against the car.

"Mom? You okay?"

"Fine," she answers, "Just enjoying the salty air."

"Boom," Reagan says as she grabs a bag out of the trunk and Kennedy rolls her eyes as she looks over at Natasha.

"We can always drive back."

"I just spent eleven hours in a car listening to Reagan sing along to the Westside Story soundtrack. I want sun so I'm going to get sun," Natasha says as she puts on a pair of sunglasses. Kennedy smiles and shakes her head as she heads toward the entrance of the hotel.

She'd made reservations at a beachside hotel for two rooms, each with two beds, which cost an arm and a leg, but she thought it was worth it if Reagan and her mom could have a fun weekend and Natasha could experience some sort of normalcy.

She heads over to the front desk with a smile and the receptionist returns the gesture.

"Hi!" the desk receptionist greets her eagerly.

"Hi," Kennedy responds, "I'd like to check in please."

"Of course," she said as she glanced down at the computer in front of her, ready to type, "Last name?"

"Allen."

"Kennedy?"

"That's me," Kennedy says.

"Here are your room keys," the receptionist says as she hands Kennedy the key, "Hope you enjoy!"

"Thanks," Kennedy looks at the name tag on the woman's shirt. She always felt that it was nicer and more personal to use someone's name, especially when they were working. She felt like it made them feel appreciated, "Kelly. Thanks, Kelly."

The woman's cheeks flushed at the use of her name and a smile crossed her lips. Kennedy turned to Natasha and waved the keys, "We're in rooms 320 and 324."

"Am I rooming with Reagan?" Natasha asks as she takes one of the room keys.

"You can, but fair warning," Kennedy says as she snatches the key from Natasha, a smirk playing on her lips, "She snores."

Kennedy heads over to the elevator and taps the button. She looks over at Natasha who was still where she was standing when Kennedy had taken the key from her.

"You're trouble, you know that?" Natasha asks.

"How much trouble can I be?" Kennedy asks teasingly.

"A lot," Natasha responds as the elevator door opens. She steps inside taking the key from Kennedy again. Kennedy rolls her eyes as she follows her, stepping into the elevator beside her. She reaches past Natasha and pushes the button to the third floor.