thirteen.

2014
Washington, D.C.

Kennedy Allen was bored. It wasn't as though her job was boring, it was just that everyone was really good at their jobs which meant that no one was ever in need of medical assistance which meant Kennedy was bored.

She sat in the med bay of SHIELD's D.C. facility, spinning around in her seat. The interesting thing about SHIELD was that everyone was multi-talented, which meant those that were medically trained were also trained to be field agents. So often, Kennedy was the only doctor in the med bay.

She looked at her desk and a smile crosses her lips as she looked at the two drawings that she'd received during her trip to Missouri. One was drawn by Lila and the other was drawn by Natasha. The latter was currently on a mission somewhere in Sweden and Kennedy missed her like crazy.

The swipe of a card and the click of the doors opening caught Kennedy's attention as she looked up to see a blonde agent entering the med bay.

"Sharon," Kennedy says with a smile, "What brings you here?"

"My lunch break," Sharon responds, "Did you take yours already?"

"An hour ago," Kennedy responds and Sharon laughs making Kennedy feel like she needed to justify herself, "It's just there's nothing to do! So, I started eating to entertain myself."

"Well, I have been assigned a task and I could use your help? All it requires are great interpersonal skills."

"I have those," Kennedy says.

"I know," Sharon responds and Kennedy smiles as she grabs her SHIELD jacket from the back of her chair and shrugs it on as she follows Sharon out of the med bay. They get on to the elevator and take a ride down to the twelfth floor, where most of the research was conducted in the facility.

"Brief me?" Kennedy asks and Sharon shakes her head with a small smile.

"Alexandria Bradley? Ever heard of her?"

"Clint and Natasha have mentioned her a few times," Kennedy says, "She's retired, right? Only does desk work?"

"Mhm," Sharon says, "We have to convince her to come out of retirement."

The elevator dings as they reach their destination and Sharon steps out first and Kennedy follows. They move through a row of desks before making it to one desk in the back. Seated at it was a beautiful woman with brown skin. As she and Sharon got closer, Kennedy noticed that several scars decorated her neck. She tried her best not to stare, but the doctor in her was curious about them.

As Sharon and Kennedy approached her, Alexandria looked up at them.

"Hello," she greets.

"Hi," Sharon says, "My name is Sharon Carter, and this is Dr. Kennedy Allen."

"Alexandria Bradley," she introduces.

"I know. You're quite accomplished," Sharon says, admiration in her voice, "Director Fury sent me here. He's requested that I brief you on an urgent matter."

"And what urgent matter is that?" Alexandria asks.

"The protection of Steve Rogers."

Alexandria's brow furrows, "Captain America?"

"Yes," Sharon answers.

"Why would he need protection? He's the perfect soldier, right?" Alexandria asks, sounding slightly condescending.

"Even the perfect soldier could be in danger," Sharon says before adding, "Or a threat."

Alexandria seems to think on the words before she looks over at Kennedy, "You're Natasha's girl."