sixteen.

2014
Washington D.C.

Fury was at the top of the food chain, but above him was someone stronger. More powerful. He had questions and he was demanding answers. Kennedy and Steve had returned to the SHIELD headquarters and Kennedy watched first as Sharon left Alexander Pierce's office and then Alexandria.

Steve was next.

Kennedy sat and waited her turn patiently. In her head, she thought over possible questions and came up with possible answers. When the door opened and Steve marched out, he glanced over at Kennedy before he continued walking toward the elevators.

"Dr. Allen, come in please."

Kennedy stood and tried to calm her nerves as she entered Pierce's office. He closed the door behind him and motioned for Kennedy to take a seat. She expected him to sit down as well, but Pierce instead stood by the window.

"Dr. Kennedy Allen. Skipped a couple of grades, graduated top of your class at Ohio State for both undergrad and medical school. Completed your residency at Oak Crest General Hospital where you later became a renowned surgeon."

Pierce turns and looks at her, "You're one of the best. I'm sure you did everything you could to save Director Fury."

"I did," Kennedy says, "The damage, it was too much. Fury's heart just couldn't take it."

Pierce shakes his head, "I never thought I'd see the day where something stopped Nick Fury."

"I'm sorry for your loss, sir," Kennedy tells him.

"It's not just my loss, it's all of SHIELDs. You've been here for over a year now, correct?"

"Yes," Kennedy answers.

"Why?"

"I'm sorry?" Kennedy asks.

"Why did you want to work here? I mean no offense. You are a good surgeon with a high success rate, but you are also a woman from a small town. No combat training. Why not stay at Oak Crest?"

"I'm sure you know about the incident in my hometown. A SHIELD facility was there, they were doing research on how to chemically alter the brain, in short term, mind control. I lived next door to the KGB agents that stole from that Ohio facility. I was interrogated. One of your people wanted to recruit me. I was only nine years old at the time. I was at a point in my life where I felt my talents would be best served elsewhere. A better question is why not here?"

"I see," Pierce says, "And what of your meetings with Fury?"

That was something Kennedy didn't have a lie for. She thought of her conversations with Fury and any topic that didn't pertain to SHIELD's breach.

"Fury wanted Alexandria Bradley back in the field, so I talked to her," Kennedy says shrugging.

"And your relationship with Natasha Romanoff?"

"I hardly think it's relevant to this discussion," Kennedy states, "We work in two different departments and when we go home the last thing that we discuss is what happened at work."

"I'm sorry if my questions seem invasive," Pierce tells her, "A high-ranking member of this organization was assassinated, and you were specifically requested to be his surgeon."

"Director Fury knew I was good," Kennedy states, "My credentials and my work while being here is proof of that."

Pierce smiles at her, "I like that confidence."

"No one wants an unsure doctor, sir."

"Thank you for coming in Dr. Allen. I appreciate the work that you do and hope that this didn't scare you off."