forty-two.

2018
Manhattan, New York

"Are you sure?"

The young intern, whose name was Felicity, nods her head, "I ran three tests, Dr. Allen. The results were all the same."

"Run a fourth test," Kennedy orders as she hands a clipboard to Felicity.

"Are you sure? I mean three tests with the same result seem pretty right to me," Felicity tells her.

"You can never be too safe in science," Kennedy tells her, "And I promise this is the last test I'll make you run, I just want to be sure."

Felicity nods her head, "Okay Dr. Allen. Also, I think your wife is here."

"What?" Kennedy asks.

"I saw her in the lobby," Felicity says, "When I was running tests."

"Oh," Kennedy says, "Thank you, Dr. Grant."

Felicity smiles at her as she holds up the clipboard, "I'll have the test ran pronto!"

Kennedy smiles at her as she watches the intern disappear down the hall. She takes a deep breath as she heads to the lobby of the hospital, passing Marin and offering her a quick greeting before finding Natasha who was standing there with a tray of coffee.

"Hey," Kennedy greets, "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to surprise you with coffee," Natasha says as she hands Kennedy a cup, "I didn't pour sugar in it because I know how much you love to do that."

Kennedy laughs as she takes the cup, "Thank you. Who's the other coffee for?"

"Me!" Marin exclaims as she takes the coffee cup, "Thanks Natasha, you're a lifesaver."

Natasha chuckles, "You're welcome."

Kennedy watches in amusement as Marin sips the coffee and heads back to her desk. She shakes her head at her best friend's antics before looking back at Natasha.

"How are you feeling?" Natasha asks her.

Kennedy smiles, "I'm fine."

"You're not feeling tired or nauseous?"

Kennedy laughs, "No Nat, I do not feel pregnant."

Natasha shrugs coyly with a small smile, "I'm just checking. You're not overworking yourself, are you?"

"No Natasha," Kennedy replies with a smile.

"Slow day?"

"Just teaching interns," Kennedy says, "I have them running tests."

"Sounds fun," Natasha tells her, and Kennedy shrugs.

"It's okay," she says, "Everyone has to start somewhere."

"Think you'll still be up for apartment hunting with Wanda?" Natasha asks.

"Yeah," Kennedy says, "I thought you were going to talk her out of it though?"

"She said she'd get one close to us which made me feel better about it," Natasha says and Kennedy smiles.

"Who's the mama bear now?" Kennedy asks as she pokes Natasha in the side.

"Still you," Natasha responds.

"Hey, I'm going out for drinks tonight with Marin and Savannah. Would you be down for a little babysitting?"

"Babysitting?" Natasha asks, "Who's child?"

"Savannah's! TJ is two now and he walks and talks, and it won't be dealing like a newborn, which we all know you're incapable of doing," Kennedy responds, which earns a glare from Natasha.